The nightmare

The last day I was garunteed to live... I might mever see my family again... My little sister, my mum, my dad, never.

I couldn't do this. I couldn't die, but in my heart, I knew there was no way out. Security was tighter than the hangman's noose, and even if I did make it, where would I go?

Nowhere. I was alone.

I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to die, since I wasn't a hardened murderer like the rest of the tributes.

I pulled myself out of bed and slipped into the shower, enjoying the feel of the hot, clean water for the last time for who knows how long? I threw on some warm clothes and pulled my hair back in a braid.

I heard a knock at the door, followed by a small, stout woman barging in. I don't even know why she knocked, if she was coming in anyway.

"It's time," the woman said.

I nodded and followed her as she turned tail and strutted down the hallway.

I watched her puff of cotton- candy colored hair float down the hallway. I must have stalled a little bit, because she turned around and glared at me.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they had classes here for that. Suddenly, the woman's face turned green and scaly, with razor- sharp teeth and yellow eyes.

"GAH!" I yelled, jumping back in surprise.

A forked tongue slid out of the woman's mouth, elongating and snaking towards me. It wrapped around my ankle and I screamed. It was coated in venom that stung like acid. The woman tightened her grip and I fell to the ground as my leg went numb.

This was it; I was going to die before I even reached the arena.

My hands clawed desperately at the ground, but it slipped through my fingers like sand, all the while dragging me down under it. I gasped for breath as the floor closed over my shoulders, creeping closer to my head.

The Snake Woman bounded closer and loomed over me, her fangs dripping with poison in a mad grin.

I heard a shrill, ear piercing scream, and realized it was my own. The floor covered my ears now, I took one last, desperate breath, and the Snake lunged.

I sat up quickly in bed, covered in sweat. I still felt the sting in my ankle, still saw that horrible snake woman perched above me.

I started to scream, but my vision cleared, and the pounding if my heart slowed.

It was only a dream. I hadn't been attacked by a snake woman, this wasn't my last day, I still had training.

That didn't change the fact that I had some newfound trust issues with woman with cotton candy hair.

I rolled out if bed and saw a white jumpsuit with an icy blue stripe running up the side lying on the couch near the window. There was a tag on it that read "TRAINING OUTFIT"

"Great" I mumbled. I slipped it on and found some thin, white shoes and I tied those on too. I guess it was time for training.

But I would find the training hall myself.