Onwards we go

After days spent at Travis and Connor's aunt's house, the trio headed on their mission again. And as if it wasn't bad enough to travel in the cold weather, Chiron got in touch with them, saying that they were needed back in New York because of an outburst of new demigod children who all needed to be collected because of some new problem with the monsters not dying. There was a lack of trained warriors, everyone who could was being pulled back from high schools and colleges. It wasn't the best season for the demigod population.
So it happened to be their last night out of camp, they'd make the rest of the way the next day, but for the night, a nice hotel close to the Empire State Building became their shelter.
Katie, Connor, and Travis walked the few hundred stairs up to their room and crashed the baggage right where they walked in as they closed the door. Everyone was exhausted, they didn't even bother fighting for the shower, they just slowly crawled there one after one without even bothering to plunder the snack bar.
Connor was the first done and so he dropped dead on one of the beds. But Katie waited for Travis, she sat on the couch and stared out of the window. It was snowing. She loved snow. Though snow was a curse for them during these days, maybe she could enjoy it more when they were back home at camp. She was looking forward to seeing all her friends and siblings, to sleep in her bed and have all her things again, to see Annabeth...
Travis came out of the bathroom, still drying his hair. "You waited for me?" He asked, exhausted but obviously happy.
"Yeah." Katie glanced at him, a dreamy look still upon her face. "I don't know if I can fall asleep here." She said.
"Take the bed, I'll sleep on the couch." He sat down next to her.
"No, you're not sleeping there, you know that I don't bite?" Katie smiled finally.
"Stop seducing me, I'm not just a flirt for one night, you know!" Travis exclaimed, scooting away from her theatrically.
Connor made a growling sound, turning on his bed.
"Shhh!" Katie snickered.
"Sorry brother." Travis whispered. "So I'm not going to refuse a bed obviously." Travis snickered, offering Katie a hand as he got up.
"How can we return to everyone now? We've accomplished nothing. Or at least from what we were supposed to do. No trails leading to Percy... We return to report that we made some christmas cookies and had the best time on the way. If I only think about Annabeth... We know nothing more than that he was taken and is somehow on the Roman side." Katie sighed. She got up and slumped onto the free bed. "She's my friend Travis, our friend. How do we even say that?"
"She's gonna understand, Katie. And I bet she spent the holidays with Percy's mom."
Travis took the blanket and put it on Katie's back.
"I think that what we did was right. I've never been more happier than right there with you, and it was great that Connor got to have something nice to remember. All those years, I haven't seen him so honestly free and in the moment, not a care in the world. He deserves so much more." He said. "Katie, I have a feeling that something really bad is coming."
"Me too." Katie rested her head on the pillow, so soft after the long hours on the move. "There are these dreams I keep having, and they're not the best, let me tell you." She scooted closer to Travis, facing him.
"I think we all have these now, it's less of a blessing and more of a curse to be a demigod." Hr scoffed. "But hey." He tucked the damp curls out of her face. "We're, I mean like, you know, we've got each other." Travis said, he sighed right after he finished, feeling his eyes getting heavier with every second.
"I know." Katie smiled a little. "I just thought that we'd have some peace after everything that happened last year. "And all we get is another slaughter." Katie whispered sadly, but there was anger in her tone.
Travis tried to say something but Katie cut him off.
"And don't say we're going to be okay. I'm afraid we aren't safe anywhere."
"No. We're not Kates!" Travis stopped her from continuing quickly. "But whatever happens, I'm with you. And I'm not gonna say that we're walking out of this unscathed, but we'll make it." He argued against her fears.
"Yeah." Katie agreed silently. But she was praying to heaven and hell to not hear his name when they named all the lost lives again. Katie didn't want to hear anyone's name there, but she'd rather not hear his particularly. Or Connor's, and then names popped up on and on... She wanted peace, needed the assurance that all her friends, all the camp kids, older or younger, would be okay.
"Goodnight." Katie whispered and kissed Travis. She moved closer to him and he hugged her. They lay there, listening to the sounds of traffic that were muffled by the masses of snow.
"Night." Travis said too. And soon, they both closed their eyes and dozed off, knowing that all they had was the present. Not that they needed any promises of a bright future anymore. They had those short moments. And they would get everything out of them.

*I'm still alive guys, yeah... 😂 Sorry... I was legit out of ideas for this but now we're here again. That timeline seems so ancient to me now though, but hey, we'll work through to "now" 😉😄

-Vendy