Chapter 9:

I started to look for a distraction on campus. After all, I did not come here for a relationship, let alone be obsessed with one. I walked into the union and looked at the student life bulletin board.

"Want to Make an impact on a young woman's life"

Join Make a Mentor

I decided to take an application as well as an application for Elite (a non-Greek organization on campus dedicated to female leaders). Sitting in my dorm listening to Jhene Aiko isn't going to keep me occupied so I might as well make the best of my college experience, I put both of the apps in my bag and walked into the food court just for all eyes to be on my body and damn near dig into my soul. I only had on a black and red T-shirt dress and my short hair was curled lying on my forehead so I really wanted to know what was there to look at.

I continued on to Taco Bell where I ordered a steak quesadilla and soft taco and headed onto Intro to Psychology. It was one of my electives I only took that class to learn more about the mind and soul. I sat down in my regular seat and opened my food as my professor Dr. Brown came in with his notes full of ideas and lectures.

"The Woman"

He started off opening his marker meaning that we we're going to be in class for the duration of the period.

"For the next however many class periods, we will be dissecting poems and opinions by Micheal E. Reid."

I immediately got excited because he is my favorite author.

Yes, I am a sucker for books.

He writes the first line on the board:

"Every man you meet will fall into one of the two categories."

Now which two categories could men possibly be placed he said, his eyes glistening.

"Hell, the cheating and the truthful" one girl says.

"No girl, the shit and the ain't shit" another says.

"Well that is a very good interpretation, but no ladies, this is not that type of discussion." Dr. Brown implies.

The class is quiet for about two minuets as nobody else tries to give the question a shot. I'll be damned if I answer, I'm eating. I bury my head deeper into my food as I hear

"The directions or the destination".

I shoot my head up for because it's a unfamiliar voice. It's a deep voice, One I haven't heard of before so I turn around and see this glorified man just sitting there. I mean he's the right skin color, perfect hair cut, girl he's the most beautiful man I have ever seen.

"What is your name son?" Dr. Brown asks.

"Martin, Xaiver Martin" he replies back.

"Well you must have previous knowledge of the poem?"

"Yes, my mom loves his work." he laughs a bit and my insides explode

"Well, you are forbidden to complete the poem but more than welcome to participate in the class discussion"

Xaiver nods his head in agreement as the professor continues on.

"Yes men are either the directions, or the destination. The directions will tell you where you need to go. Directions being men that you are dating. The men that you are experimenting with, are just trying to tell you where you need to go internally (mentally, emotionally, spiritually) to find your destination and your destination being.......the love of your life, your God sent.....