Acceptance

Rain

After my parents found out about Cole, they talked to him. He sat at the table as they reassured him of how they felt.

"We just want you to know; there is nothing wrong with being gay, and we love you no matter what," Dad assured him.

"Okay," he said to him casually.

"We don't want you upset with Rain. You know she doesn't have a filter, and I don't think she realized what she was saying," Mom reasoned.

He looked at them. "Who says I'm upset?"

"Well, it's a big deal," Dad told him.

"Why?" He looked at them, confused.

"Because most kids are afraid of telling their parents," Mom explained.

He looked at them then said, "You two worry too much. I've been gay since I was thirteen. I just said nothing because it's not a big deal. I like guys."

They looked at him, confused.

"I'm not Rain. I need not reassured, and things explained to me constantly. I know you both love me, no matter what. You're good parents. That's why I'm fine with who I am," he shrugged.

They had nothing else to add. Cole wasn't the type to share a lot, but he didn't need constant attention either. My brother was usually quiet anyway, whereas Luke was more vocal.

Luke walked in and saw them sitting at the table.

"Let me guess, they know?" Luke asked Cole.

"Yep," Cole answered.

He started laughing.

"What's so funny?" Dad asked him.

"The fact, you two worry way too much about us," he chuckled.

"It's our job," Mom told him.

"And you did a fine job raising us. Hence why Cole didn't feel the need to broadcast being gay," he smirked. They just looked at him.

"He's not wrong. When have I ever made a big production out of things?" He asked them, leaving them utterly speechless. "Exactly, have we not learned anything with Rain?"

Dad looked at Mom. "I give up."

She just shook her head.

"Look, don't feel bad. I know Rain needs a lot of help. I also know you have never pushed us aside while some people feel that way, we don't. Trust me, it's fine," he said as he got up.

Cole went upstairs as Luke looked at them.

"Okay, I feel like an ass," Dad said to Mom.

"Why?" Luke asked him.

"Because as a parent, it's our job to know these things. I didn't have the best upbringing," he sighed.

"Dad, you both did the best you can. Think about it. Yeah, Rain needed more help, but you still made sure you took care of us. Some parents don't care. You did. No matter what, you cared," he reasoned as he left the kitchen.

My parents always worried they weren't good enough parents, but they were more than good enough. They were better than most parents and loved us equally. But they also treated us as individuals. Cole was right. They worried too much.

The next day I came downstairs and heard a knock at the door. I walked over and asked, "Who is it?"

"It's Uncle Reed," they announced.

I stood there.

They knocked again.

"Who is it?"

"It's Uncle Jaime."

I just stood there.

They knocked again.

"Who is it?"

"It's Craig and Kellan."

I turned and walked away. Reed and Jaime knocked again as I went into the kitchen, and Dad asked, "Who's at the door?"

"Uncle Reed, Uncle Jaime, Craig, and Kellan," I told him.

"Why didn't you answer it?"

"Because you told me never to answer the door," I said. Dad sighed. He answered the door.

Reed looked at him, "Rain?"

"Yeah, sorry about that," Dad apologized.

"No worries." Jaime shrugged as they all walked in. After they were inside, he closed the door, and they went into the kitchen. Craig and Kellan took a seat with me while Reed and Jaime talked to Dad.

"Where is everyone?" Reed asked him.

"Lia and the boys will be back. They went to the store," he told him.

"Good luck, boys," Jaime said as they laughed.

"Did you know Cole is gay and Mom and Dad think they suck as parents," I asked them as they all looked at me. "But they shouldn't feel that way. They worry too much."

They looked at me, confused.

"Well, that's new," Jaime said.

"Rain has been hanging out with a new boy," Dad explained.

"I'm not hanging out. I'm dating. Antonio was my helper first, then he kissed me, we had a date, and he told me he loves me," I corrected him.

"I'm guessing he's been teaching her new things," Reed asked Dad.

"First, I'm in the room, don't act like I'm not. Second, Wade told me people usually talk like this. He's been giving me pointers, which has helped me," I corrected them. I'm learning, and so are they.

"I think I'd like to meet this, Wade," Dad said to me.

I just shrugged and called Antonio. A little while later, he arrived with Wade. He sat on the couch as Dad looked at him, as did the others.

"So, I heard you've been teaching Rain new things," he said to Wade, who looked at him, confused. "Care to explain why you're corrupting my daughter?"

"I don't think it's corrupting. Rain asks questions, and I answer them," he said casually.

"She's swearing and being sarcastic. How is that not corrupting her?" Dad questioned Wade.

"Because everyone swears and is sarcastic. You want Rain to adjust to people as they are, that's how people are," he shrugged.

"I'm teaching my daughter how to be polite and how words can affect people, just like how they affect her," he countered.

"Yeah, but you want everyone to adjust to her, but shouldn't she also adjust to us as well?" Wade inquired.

"He's got a valid point," Reed said.

"You're not helping Reed," Dad shot back.

"Look, I'm not trying to 'corrupt' anyone. But I do think you should realize that Rain would adjust if you quit keeping her in a bubble. Not everyone is out to hurt her," he reasoned.

Antonio sat in a chair and had his arms wrapped around me as I stood there watching them. I didn't understand what the big deal was?

"The problem which everyone forgets is we have dealt with this longer than anyone," he told Wade.

"Maybe so, but I think Rain deals with it more extensively. You may deal with a lot when you're with her, but she deals with all it with or without you," he replied.

"He's right," I said.

Dad looked at me.

"I deal with everything. You don't deal with all of it. I do. I'm not always protected, and people hurt my feelings all the time. I don't understand, and they laugh. Wade, Adrian, and Antonio all treat me like they treat each other. I don't feel excluded. It's nice that they treat me like a person and not a label," I told him.

Dad looked at me and sighed. I know he was doing his best, but sometimes you need help.

Just then, Mom and my brothers walked in. Things were about to get interesting.