Chapter 34

Jenna and Cora get to the game, sitting right behind home plate as Shawn is catching for the pitcher. Cora giggles and points at her father, Jenna smiling at her. Shawn doesn't hear her because of the mask and since he's down and steadying himself focusing. He talks to the umpire as the first batter walks up. Kneeling, he gives the signals and then waiting for the pitch. A couple of batters later, the Blue Jays have two outs and a guy from the Rays on first, a good home run hitter coming up to the plate. The pitcher throws a wild pitch into the dirt, but Shawn blocks it, coming up as the guy at first stays. He throws the ball back to the pitcher before kneeling back down, watching the guy on first.

"Go number twenty-two!" he hears his daughter chant behind him.

The pitcher throws the pitch. A ball and the runner at first takes off. Shawn throws a rocket to second, the second baseman tagging the runner out. He stands, pushing his mask up and looking over at both Cora and Jenna and winking at them both before heading into the dugout.

Third in the lineup, Shawn takes a few practice swings, a guy on third and one on first he steps up to the plate. He lets the first pitch fly by, a strike. Nodding his head, Shawn steps back and taking a few more swings before stepping back into the box. He waits and watches the pitcher wind up and throw, the ball nearly missing Shawn's face.

The crowd boos.

Shawn stretches a little with the bat and stepping back into the batter's box, taking the count to three and two as the pitcher throws the next pitch and he swings hard. The ball skyrockets in the air, Shawn watching it and tossing his bat, casually jogging and watching the ball soar out of the park. The stadium erupts, the crowd going nuts even though they are the away team. Shawn sees his daughter wave at him as he crosses home plate. He of course waves back.

The game goes on. It's the top of the ninth and they are up by one, but the bases are loaded with two outs for the Rays. Almost everyone is standing waiting to see what's going to happen. The Blue Jays pitcher throws a couple of pitches and the guy hits it hard, the ball traveling all the way to the wall before their centerfielder jumps and catches it.

Ending the game.