The Holy Plane

Chapter 2

Even before I opened my eyes, I knew that today will be the worst day of my life.

That little niggling, instinctive part of my mind told me this as I listened to the silence.

This primal knowledge did nothing to make me want to open my eyes; so, I remained in the safe embrace sleep.

Thus said, I was hazy with sleep and confused when I felt warmth surrounding me, and I put an effort into resisting the sunlight gently coaxing me awake by shining on my face.

It must have rained today; the air smells damp and earthy. Why does my bed feel so funny? It's almost ticklish...

I jolted awake with a sneeze as my supposed 'bedding' tickled my nose, and I blinked groggily at an anime-drawn infinite mass of green so large it met the wide-open sky, which was painted by the oranges, golds, pinks, blues, and indigos of a perfect sunset.

The leaves gently rustled around me in a calm and warm breeze, a perfect world that remained completely at peace; all while I unabashedly gawked, my eyes wide in wonder and shock.

I had been sleeping on a physics-defying platform, a soft mass of animated leaves that supported my weight without wavering; I am surrounded by an unbroken canopy of a jungle trapped in an eternal sunset.

"Finally, you're awake!"

The familiar voice, filled with annoyance, terrified the living daylights out of me.

I whipped around to confront its source and ended up face-to-face with an anime guy about two years older than me, his face clean of any facial hair and skin flawless and pale as my own.

He was wearing black coat styled like Ezio from Assassins Creed, slightly folded out and opened in the front that reached just below his knees, with four gold buttons neatly lined up below his collar.

He wore black dress pants, polished black shoes, and dark storm-grey dress gloves that ended somewhere under the cuffs of his coat.

He wore a black top hat over that with a gold ribbon wrapped around the base, held by a black skull-and-wings pin.

His face was smooth and rounded; drawn neater than One Piece's usual style, his hair is dark silver and about the same length as mine; overall, he looked somewhat identical to Kirito from Sword Art Online.

His eyes were the last thing to catch my attention.

They were narrowed with annoyance, I was able to tell that much, but that were all shades of silver and grey blended in a perfect maelstrom.

It was that second that the voice clicked in my head.

"... You're supposed to be an angel?"

I deadpanned, entirely unimpressed.

Irritation spread across his expression, and he crossed his arms with an exasperated sigh.

"I never said I was an angel, I said I was the Angel Angel fruit."

He snapped waspishly.

"I'm not supposed to be here, but someone has to look out for your sorry existence."

I frowned as memories from the previous day flooded my head, stiffening in slowly escalating panic.

Dread crashed over me like a ten-ton tidal wave, and in the far distance of my inner world, the leaves began wilting.

"I woke up earlier... They took me to a torture chamber, didn't they?"

His grimace was all the answer I needed.