Chapter 5

My right foot touched the cold ground. " Well. Here goes" I thought as my left foot also touched the ground. I put one leg in front of the other... and started walking in.

"Be sure to go all the way in the woods! Don't hide behind a tree or anything!" John called.

"Be careful Maddie!" Carey's voice called.

It was so dark. When you walked further and further in, it got darker. I began to shiver. It was so cold and windy, I cursed myself for wearing my Kermit The Frog t-shirt and knee length shorts.

"Be strong Maddie. Be strong" said a voice in my head.

I kept walking in deeper and deeper wondering if these woods ever had an end.

Suddenly, I heard a noise. Actually... noises. Coming from behind me and in front of me.

"Must be nothing...." I thought as I kept walking. "When will the 10 minutes be up? Will John yell out and say so?"

"Go baaaaack....." said a voice.

"Who said that!?" I called. I tried to act as calmly as possible.

"It was just the wind. Just the wind..." I thought calmly.

I kept on walking but then I stepped on a branch.

"C-CRAAAACCKK!"

I jumped.

All of a sudden, something brushed against my leg. It felt.... furry....?

That was it. I'm done. I'm getting out of here.

I started to run back but something caught my legs and I toppled over falling right on my face.

Then, I heard a noise.

"Max?? John? Carey??" I yelled out. No response.

It had to be one of them playing a sick prank on me.

The noise was coming from in front of me. It was getting louder and louder. As it got closer, its eyes looked reddish. I tried to turn and run, but I couldn't move. It was as if my feet were stuck to the ground.

"Help! Help somebody!!" I yelled out.

I felt breathing on the back of my neck.

Then, it grabbed me.