Chapter 2 - The Gallery

FRIDAY

Mom woke all of us up at 8 in the morning. She told us that the gallery opens at 10. She hurriedly took a bath, ate breakfast and waited for us in the car. I don't know, I was still groggy, I haven't even eaten my breakfast yet and dad's already taking a bath. As I take my first bite of my cereal, dad's already drying his hair. Am I really that slow? I begin walking towards the bathroom and dad's already done! It was 9:17 and mom went back in the house. She seems worried.

"What are you doing Ib? It's almost 10!" She scolded me, in a calm way. I didn't answer, I focused on my steps to the stairs and hoping I wouldn't fall and pass out since I was really sleepy. I forgot what I did last night, but all I remember is that I slept early, I think, 7:30 or something. I heard someone was walking behind me, it was mom. "Ib, let me help you." Mom smiled at me. She was guiding me like I was some old lady. It was very funny, she even joked about it! It was already 10 when we all went to the car, she didn't seem to care anymore though.

We arrived at the gallery, there weren't a lot of people, which surprised me. Although maybe it lessened since it has been open for a long time now. The place was big! Bigger than I expected. The walls were white as my dad's teeth, there were a lot of artworks, every wall and every corner was full of it. We head over to the reception desk and mom turned to me. "Now, Ib, Guertena also made some sculptures as well!" She got some pamphlets and gave them to me. The place looked fun to explore. "Mom, can I go look at the paintings now?" I asked her. "Alright, just don't touch anything or disturb other people." She replied. I checked the first floor first. There was a big painting of a fish on the ground, it scared me since it looked real. I couldn't understand the title because I don't know the words, but it didn't quite interest me. I saw a sculpture though, it was a rose, and some petals on the ground. I kept on looking it for too long, it was beautiful. "I wanna get those petals!!!" Some kid kept saying that while jumping up and down. "I don't think it's allowed." I replied. The kid stick his tongue out and went away. I kept roaming around the place, staring at different paintings and sculptures. I head on to the second floor and stared at more paintings, there is this one painting, I couldn't see it clearly because someone was blocking the view but I think it's a painting of a hanged man. I checked the first sculpture I saw, it was a bunch of different colored mannequins without any heads. "In my opinion, what Guertena is saying here is that "The Individual" lies in one's expression," A man suddenly began talking. I let him continue even if I do not fully understand what him meant. "Which is why these figures don't have heads, see?" He continued. "I just find it creepy though." I answered. "Of course you do, you're a child. Well, indeed it is, but think of it less as them losing their heads but them losing their very personality." He kept on talking, so I left him babbling and he didn't even notice he was talking to no one!

I continued looking for more paintings or sculptures. Sad to say, there isn't one painting that has impressed me yet. I then saw a hallway at the back, nobody was there, although there is a painting, so I decided to check it out. I don't seem to understand the title of the painting, but I felt something weird happened while I was looking at it. The place grew dark! I went to check on my parents and they were gone! Everyone was gone! I checked everywhere, I did hear someone cough but I couldn't find the person. I tried leaving but the door was locked! I tried breaking the door but nothing happened. I went back to the second floor and I heard a loud BANG on the window. This is getting very creepy. I went back to the painting and saw a leak of blue paint. "COME IB" it spelled on the floor with red paint. "Come down, Ib. I'll show you someplace secret." A faint of wind whispered to me. It also appeared on the blue paint. Are they trying to make sure that I go downstairs? What do they want from me?!?! I refused their command and just sat on the floor. Crying. My head was facing down, afraid that something might pop up. "Ib!" It was my mom's voice. "Ib! Come here! Downstairs! Hurry!" She sounded like she needs help. I don't know if that was really mom, they could be playing tricks on me. But what if that was really mom? What if she needs help? I had no choice, I quickly went downstairs to look for her. There was no one to be found. "Ib! Down here in this painting! Quick!" Mom shouted again. A painting shaked, it was the painting of this big fish on the floor. How on earth can I go inside a painting? I placed my finger on the painting, and it was passable! That was quite weird. I was about to retrieve my index finger back when something grabbed and pulled me downwards and into the painting! I fell on my bottom, and the atmosphere was different. VERY different. I couldn't find my way back up. I had no choice, but to move forward and find my way out of here.