Chapter 7: Into the desert

They drove us out of the city. They said they were going to take us to some people who could make us disappear. I wouldn't have gone had the doors not been specifically designed to keep people from getting out. Right now, we can see the sand dunes in the distance. If they want to kill us, this is the perfect place to get rid of the bodies.

-Where exactly are you taking us?

-We're not taking you too far. In fact, our stop is right ahead.

-I don't see anything up ahead.

The car starts slowing down. I hate being here. I hate not knowing what's happening. But I don't exactly have a choice. The car comes to a full stop. The guards exit the car and go over to the back.

-OK, what's our escape plan?

-What?

-The escape plan.

-Um, I don't have one. Do you?

-No, you're the plan guy!

-I made one plan!

Endros's car door opens.

-Come on, we need to get you ready for your walk.

-You really like being vague, don't you?

-I'll admit, I'm having fun with it.

So far, I think Endros is avoiding conversations with the guards. I, on the other hand, want to get as much information as possible out of them. The guard walks back over to the trunk and leaves our door open.

-Dude, now's our chance to run!

-To where? because I don't know the way back to the city and I don't want to get lost in a desert.

-So, what do we do?

-I guess we have no choice but to go along with whatever these guys have planned. If they wanted to kidnap us, we would be in handcuffs and they wouldn't leave your door open.

-Or that's part of their plan to gain our trust before they backstab us.

-Either way, we don't have a choice.

I nudge Endros to his door and he gets out. I walk around the car towards the open trunk and the two guards.

-I can't believe we're trusting these people.

I'm pretty sure Endros didn't mean for anyone to hear that, so I ignore it.

-I see you two didn't decide to run. Good.

The female guard said that. I thought the other one was supposed to be the vague one.

-Come, you'll need these.

She hands me two large Leather bottles with straps on them. I hand one to Endros. I open mine. It's filled with water. or at least it looks and feels like water. I put it over my shoulder.

-And these.

She hands us hats. Are they going to send us into the desert? alone? Either way, I like stuff. And we only have these clothes. Some hats won't hurt. I take my sweater off and tie it around my waist. Then, I put the large floppy hat on and hand the other to Endros. He's inspecting his water bottle intensely. Once he realizes I'm handing him a hat, he takes it and proceeds to do the same with it.

-And this.

She hands me a strange rectangular device. It's rusty and has small solar panels on each side. Convenient.

-OK, just follow the Dot on the screen. We need to go now. Good luck.

She slides one of the solar panels up revealing a small green screen and various buttons. There's a light green circle on which resides a red dot. She turns the device and the red dot starts blinking and moving to be in the place it was before.