Chapter 8: The Dream Means More

'As I lay there limp, the cold feeling of loneliness overpowering my mind. Everything turns black and I hear screaming, he's out to play.

24 hours before

"Jack, Jaaaack" Robin says trying to wake me up.

"What is it?" I say and rub my eyes.

"Look outside. It's snowing!" he says and pulls me out of bed.

"It really is! It's snowing!" I say looking at the snowflakes falling on the ground forming a layer of snow.

We run out of our room and go wake up Robin's family, then we go and wake up my siblings. Mom and dad died three years ago in a car crash on the way to my sister's play.

"Robin! Robin! Get our gloves, I'll get our boots! We'll go outside and play!" I say as we run around the house.

"Seán! Wait, don't go outside!" Malcolm shouts down the hall. I don't hear him and Robin hands me my gloves and I give him his boots. We run out the front door and we run around, but something feels off.

The front door slams and locks, Robin looks at me and we walk to the door, everyone is inside the house, we turn around and there's a man standing there, he's holding a gun and other men are standing behind him.

He points the gun at Robin and I, "now don't make a fuss, it'll all be over soon" he grins and another man steps next to him, he points the gun at Robin. "No!" I shout.

The man pointing the gun at me hits me in the head and I fall in the snow, "leave him alone!" Robin shouts kneeling down to me.

I get up and I look at Robin, "video game style!" We shout and hold the guns and push them aside, we push the two men over and we start running behind the house.

"GET BACK HERE!" The man screamed.

"Robin quick get up!" I say and give him a boost over the fence, I start climbing the fence but I feel one of the men grabbing me.

Robin grabs a rock and throws it at the man and I climb the fence, we run into the forest. The men soon enough climb the fence and come looking for us. I overhear one of the guards speaking.

"Grab the boy with the eye necklace, we don't need the other one!" He says. I gasp and run away. Robin is in front of me but he's further away.

I trip over a tree root and one of the men picks me up by my collar, I prepare to scream but before I could he punched me and I was out cold.'

"Seán?" I hear Mark speak.

"Hmm? What's wrong?" I ask.

"I should ask you that, you're out of breath, and you looked frightened" he says.

"I-I don't know. Since seeing Jonny again I think something he did triggered a memory or a weird dream" I say and sit up.

"I'm always here" he smiles as he holds my face in his hands.

He pulls my face forward and kisses me. "I know. But it didn't have you in my dream, it was my family, but I don't remember any family, the orphanage I was at told me they had died, I was an only child and my parents died in an accident, I didn't have any friends there. But I had also dreamt about Robin and his family, we were like 8 years old, I had two brothers and sisters, which is weird. But that's not the point" I say getting out of bed.

"But you said you lived with your mom, you do have a mom don't you?" He asks.

"Yeah, I do. Mom sent me to an orphanage because she couldn't handle having a kid with special powers, and plus, I did kill her husband" I say letting a couple tears go.

"She knows you didn't mean it, I'm sure she still loves you" he says trying to cheer me up. I shake my head and we continue to walk.

Mark follows me to the top floor, the roof. "Robin and I were being chased by men with guns and they were going to kill us, but I overheard one of them saying they only wanted me...they had gotten me and that's when I woke up. It was snowing, everything seemed off in the dream" I explain. We sit on the seats and look at the black sparkly sky.

"Maybe it's a memory" he says.

"But I met Robin in high school, we didn't know each other before then"

"Did it feel real?"

"Yeah, it felt realistic, it felt like when he hit me, I felt it here"

"Then it must have been real if you felt it. And plus, that is an oddly detailed dream" Mark points out.

"Promise me that whatever happens, you'll stay safe, you won't do anything stupid?" I say.

He nods and pecks my lips. I smile and we sit there, me in his arms and looking up at the sky.

"There's also something else weird. I killed my dad, but the dream said he and mom died in a car crash" I say looking at Mark.

He looked at me and was thinking. "Maybe that's what your mind wants you to believe, because maybe you're not ready to accept that you accidentally killed your father" he says trying to lay it easy.

"I-I...Mark, I need to know why this dream happened. It can't just be a dream! It means something, and I have to find out what it is" I say and look at the sky then back to Mark.

"I don't have any family left, apart from my ma. But there was a name that one of my apparently existing brothers had. Malcolm" I say.

"We'll find out what happened. We also won't tell anyone else" Mark says standing up. "But don't let it trouble you either, come on, we'll go back inside and we'll go to bed" Mark says holding his hand out for me to take.

I breathe out and smile, I take his hand and he pulls me up from the seat, he holds me close and he doesn't let go of my hand. "Seán I love you" he says as we rest our foreheads against one another.

"I love you too Mark" I say and peck his lips with mine. Everything has happened this year, I fell in love with Mark, I got hurt by Mark, I moved to a werewolf academy, I fell in love with Jonny, he died I was crushed, I knew I still loved Mark but I wanted to make him jealous. Isn't that normal? To want your ex to be a little jealous of your new relationship? But now the dream. It's all just a jumbled jig-saw puzzle.