Chapter 1

The pitter patter of a gentle rain thuds gently against my bedroom window. The lavender drapes that conceal them flow softly, as a slow gust pushes through the gap. I stand up from my bed, which is unmade and covered in multiple books, and close the gap, shutting my window.
When it's raining out is my favourite time to read. I'm not sure why as to I have become accustomed to this, but it calms me from the frustration that haunts my daily life. Rain. A typically sad and inanimate occurrence, brightening my days. How ironic.
As un rebellious as I am, I have found myself in quite the predicament this evening.
As my father came home from his weekly visit to the beer store, I noticed that he had already drank half a bottle of extremely strong whiskey, and was as drunk as ever. As he stumbled towards the kitchen, he bumped into my mother and immediately became enraged.
"Get out of my way you good for nothing useless whore!" He had screamed at my mother, a petite women in her late forties with greying hair and soft faded blue eyes. She just stood there, gawking at him, close to tears. She would never say anything back; she was too sweet and too afraid. Obviously I wasn't just going to let him speak to her like that, without saying something to him.
"Dad," I began softly, as I usually did. "please don't speak to mom that way. She doesn't deserve it, you know that." I'm a quiet person and don't enjoy conflict, as most don't, so I try to solve things quickly and kindly.
"Shut up! Did I say you could speak?! NO! I didn't! Now leave me be before I beat the two of you senseless!" He screamed, walking through the kitchen and into the garage, slamming the door on his way out.
I flushed brightly, embarrassed and upset. I turned to my mom, noticing that she was in tears, again.
"Oh honey, you shouldn't have done that." She says looking disappointed at me.
"Shouldn't have done what? Stand up for you?" I say quietly, shocked.
"No speak to your father that way. You know he doesn't mean any of it."
"I don't understand why you just take it mom. You deserve better. Much better." I say raising my voice slightly. I'm appalled and frankly getting quite angry.
"Your father does lots for this family young lady. Don't speak to him like that again, clear?" She says, raising an eyebrow to me.
"Yes, clear as crystal." I say, frowning. She sees this and says,
"Honey I love you, and I love your father no matter what. Ok?"
"Ok, love you too." I say, turning around and walking into my room.
So there we have it my evening so far. And now here I sit, in the confinement of my blanket covers, and the solitude of my own room. Tears fall from my cheeks, one after another until I drift slowly into a restless sleep...

Sorry that's it's such a short chapter! The next one is much longer and full of good stuff, I promise! Hope your enjoying, I wish you all the best. Please comment and tell me if you like it so far ☺️