Chapter 2

Of course nothing turned out for the better. They managed to drive Boboiboy away, even if it was unintentional. For someone to even lash out at a sentence that was related to an experiment… what had he been through?

Yaya added curry powder into the cookie mix. She’d been baking, experimenting with various types of new recipes to bring her mind off of the boy.

She ended up burning them.

“Ah, another one?” She sighed. “I might as well take a break.”

Again, they hadn’t seen him for another two weeks. Maybe he’s somewhere else than Pulau Rintis. Maybe he found his home? He’s human, after all. His parents could be looking for him.

Still, Yaya was certain he wasn’t evil. He didn’t attack them for no reason, only for self-defence. He was like Emotibot, but much more dangerous and deadly, a walking nuke.

The thought of the emotion-manipulating sphere gave her the chills. She and Ying had been forced to dance. That’s an image she’ll never purge out of her mind.

Her phone blared to life. Startled, she frantically put the bowl down and picked it up. It was Gopal.

“Hey, Gopal, what happened?”

“Come quick! Boboiboy’s back again!”

For the first time, he had actually told her something useful. She turned the oven off and flew out the window, to the park where they always discussed emergencies.

It wasn’t the ideal location for some super-secret meeting, but at least they had enough space when fights came along.

“Over here!” Ying’s voice hissed. “Shh!”

Yaya slowly descended down into a tree. Fang, Gopal and Ying were watching immensely at Boboiboy, who was in the original red-and-black version, in the midst of a conversation with Adu-du and Probe.

Aren’t they enemies? Yaya wondered.

Apparently the convo didn’t turn out for the better. Boboiboy electrocuted them with red lightning and walked away.

That looks as painful as watching Gopal being a total idiot.

Seriously.

“Eh, he’s leaving!” Fang noted. “Should we to talk to him?”

“And get our brains fried? No thank you,” Ying said.

“Then Gopal should go,” Yaya suggested.

“Aha! I will!” Gopal jumped down the tree.

Fang snorted. “That was sarcasm, wasn’t it.”

They studied them as Gopal accosted Boboiboy, who didn’t look in the mood for a chat.

Whatever Gopal had said, Boboiboy mercifully didn’t offer him a painful electrocution, which would be both amusing and hilarious to watch.

After three minutes of Gopal practically trumpeting his food power aloud, they shook hands.

“I can’t believe it,” Fang muttered.

Gopal ran up to them, Boboiboy following hin reluctantly.

“He’s cool, guys! You don’t have to hide anymore!” he called out. “Did you know he’s only fourteen years old?”

Yaya helped Ying down as Fang jumped off. Fang still looked bewildered as if he couldn’t wrap his mind around the fact that Gopal had befriended this dangerous human.

Rather than facing him, Yaya would prefer to cower in her blankets. She’d faced Space Pirates. She’d survived space.

But this boy their age was entirely on a new level of terrifying. He was a mystery, the deepest depths of the ocean, the tip of an iceberg. She didn’t know what will set him off.

And she was aware that Fang and Ying felt the same.

“You guys again,” Boboiboy said. “What do you want with me?”

“What were you doing with Adu-du?” Fang asked. “I mean, you blasted him away but what did he say?”

He shrugged. “He asked me to join him to get the power spheres.”

“I’m guessing you rejected.” Yaya glanced at the charred piece of mess that resembled Adu-du. Oh wait, it is him.

“Yeah. Anyway I don’t know why you spend so much time worrying about him,” he recounted. “He’s a E-class villain at most.”

“Why are you doing in Pulau Rintis? There’s a lot of places on Earth,” Fang offered.

Boboiboy glanced at him with his glowing scarlet eyes. His black jacket, hood, jeans and combat boots were streaked with a glowing scarlet streak that matched his eyes.

A red lightning bolt was embedded on his left chest, on the red shirt under the jacket.

(He’s not wearing his cap, only wears a hood.)

The only thing that wasn’t so dark about him was his hair. It was white, with a brown streak.

“I just feel attracted to this place. That’s all,” he admitted. “Something tells me I should be here.”

“Huh? Like you’re attracted here or something?” Yaya presumed. “That’s how Adu-du came here. By Tok Aba’s cocoa.”

Boboiboy tilted his head. “What’s cocoa?”

“You really don’t know anything about earth, do you?” Gopal taunted. “Yay! I’m finally not the stupidest one here—”

Boom.

Boboiboy exploded his face.

“Seriously, what is it?” he repeated. “Care to elaborate?”

Fang suggested that they just show Boboiboy instead of pulling up diagrams, pie charts or the history of chocolate lectures that would take a year to accomplish. Yaya agreed and they all led the way towards Tok Aba’s Cocoa stand.

But when they arrived, Boboiboy was still wary of Ochobot. Their little differ from two weeks ago didn’t went forgotten.

Still, he managed to not leave or blow the stand to pieces. Tok Aba was also quite curious on Boboiboy, but didn’t press the topic on his past.

“Try this.” Fang handed him a cup of cocoa. “Tok Aba makes the best cocoa here.”

Boboiboy sniffed it. “I think I’ve had this before. Can’t remember where.”

Gopal rolled his eyes. “Where can you even have this? You spent your life being—”

Yaya punched him into next week.

Boboiboy glared and slowly drained it. “It still feels like it’s not the first time I had it.”

“Do you mind telling us how many elements can you control? We’ll all tell you our powers,” Fang offered. “I have Shadow Control. Nothing fancy.”

Boboiboy placed the cup on the counter. “How can I trust you all?”

“You can always beat us up,” Ying told him.

He sighed. “Actually, I don’t know how much I can control. It just never ends. So far, it’s fire, water, ice, electric, nature, wind, and earth.”

“That’s…” Fang blinked. “A lot.”

“Yeah. That experiment… it gave me the ability to adapt and control.” Boboiboy’s voice turned soft but sharp. “There’s two levels of each element. I guess it’s the more powerful version of it. I’m using Thunderstorm currently.”

Yaya bit her lip, but told him her power anyway. Why did he just tell them all of that? Was it because he flew alone for so long, that he yearned for someone to trust? Someone to depend on?

One by one, they explained their powers to him.

“Why don’t you hang out with us for a while? We can teach you how earth works.” Gopal put his hand around Boboiboy, then was promptly electrocuted by him.

“No physical contact.” Fang poked Gopal with a stick, who was twitching on the floor. The stick caught on fire from the electricity and crumpled to ash. “Noted.”