PROLOGUE

BOOM!!

The ground jerked suddenly beneath Ochaco's feet, and she jolted forward, just barely catching herself before she could tumble into another pedestrian. Steadying herself, she looked up from her phone in alarm. 

The Shibuya crosswalk was bustling with life as usual, crowded and thick, but all around, people began stumbling to a stop, reacting in confusion to the sudden tremors and a now very noticeable rumbling in the distance. Ochaco glanced nervously from side to side, trying to find the source, but there was nothing-- nothing except the quakes and that ominous, ominous growl.

Phrases of 'What's going on?' and 'What's happening? 'rippled throughout the crowd, echoing from all sides and only thickening the tension in the air. Ochaco quickly pocketed her flip phone, disregarding the text she was writing and instead pulling the pocket camera from the folds of her jacket. It tittered as it woke, the lens popping out enthusiastically, and she rushed to hit video. 

Her actions couldn't have been more timely. Because five seconds after the video began, the diamond center of Shibuya split open with a skull-jarring crack!

Debris flew outward with the force of a hurricane, and bystanders were flung back like dolls on marionette strings. Shrieks rung out and footsteps thundered as people desperately leaped the get away. Ochaco struggled to keep her footing as people stampeded past, moving in a small arc and anxiously keeping the camera fixed on the action in front of her.

Right there in the middle of the crosswalk, an incredible three meter hole crumbled outward, the center of which protruding an insanely large, meaty fist. Dirt and scum trickled through the clenched fingers, flicking outward as the hand promptly splayed, arm flinging to grasp the road and haul up the body attached to it.

Ice settled in Ochaco's lungs as the grotesque grizzly bear of a man climbed up into the streets, the camera beginning to shake in her hands. With a face like King Kong and muscles the size of tractor tires, this was no ordinary man.

"Akuma," Ochaco breathed.

Clothes hung torn and ragged off the man's bulging body, ripped apart from when he'd grown in size. He bared sharp teeth and veered his massive head left and right, snarling his menace to the screaming civilians all around.

"It--It's an Akuma," Ochaco stammered quietly, trembling fingers moving to zoom in on his face. "Fo-Fourth one this week, and it's only We-Wednesday. I'm here in Shi-Shibuya, about tw-twelve meters away--"

"WHERE ARE THEY?!"

The bellow was wretched and immediate, cutting into Ochaco's report and causing everyone in the vicinity to jump. He stomped a humongous foot into the blacktop, a resounding crunch following the jagged indentation  in the road. "WHERE ARE THOSE ACCURSED BRATS?!"

Accursed who? Ochaco thought wildly as she staggered back several steps, heart nearly beating out of her chest. But there was no time for her to question the demand. Just then, the villain's eyes came to rest on her, and her heart dropped right into her shoes.

Like a banging drum he released a warbling shriek, his voice bouncing among the buildings and alleyways of the city, and he bolted forward with the speed of a freight train. In sudden terror Ochaco lurched back, but she stumbled on a loose piece of debris and fell onto her rear, her voice shrilling in her throat as the man dove in for a devastating blow--!

Crack!

... 

...Huh...?

Brown eyes peeked open, one at a time. Arm raised in a last pathetic defense over her face, Ochaco twitched. She was not dead. Instead, she was lying in the shadow of the one who saved her life.