This Can Work

As she drove to work, Raji thought more and more about how Tracie was battling her parents alone. Never had she seen the Jenkins so angry at Tracie about anything. Usual it was 'We've talked about this Tracie, you need to do better' or 'Don't let me catch you with them grown ass boys'. But now, they were genuinely mad at her mistake.

She pulled up to work, and saw the big Grand Opening sign going across the front door. She wiped a stray tear away and looked in her mirror, making sure she didn't look like she was sad. She grabbed her purse and got out the car, going inside. She used the manager key that Ms Jackie gave her and went to the back office.

"Hey Ms. Jackie. What do you need me to do?" She asked her boss. "You can put these two cookie trays out front. I need to finish this one," Ms. Jackie answered only looking up to make sure she pointed to the right trays. Taraji grabbed them and walked them upfront, looking at all the children's clothes. Ms. Jackie figured there could be just as much money in a kids clothing store as well as an adult store, so she opened Jayla's Boutique.

Taraji walked back to see what Ms. Jackie wanted to do next. "Why did you name this store Jayla's Boutique?" She asked the focused Jackie. "I named this store after my daughter. I have my shop and she has her's," Jackie explained. Taraji thought hard about if she ever remembered seeing Ms. Jackie's daughter. "I didn't know that you had kids," Taraji said. Jackie chuckled at the confused girl.

"Just her. I didn't have anymore after that. She's older than you by about 6 years. She spent a lot of time reading in the back of the old store or at her dad's place. No one paid too much attention to her and she likes it that way...what's going sweetie?" Jackie asked, finally looking up and seeing a distant Taraji. She stopped putting cookies out and placed her hands on her hip.

"I was wondering if you could hire another person. She really needs a job right now," Taraji blurted out. She dropped her head quickly, feeling shame as if she was the one who was pregnant and alone. "What's going on? Sit down," Jackie tapped the table and didn't take her eyes off Raji. They both sat down and Jackie stared at her worker until she caved.

"My best friend is pregnant. She just told her parents and they are trying to make her get rid of it, but she doesn't want to. I'm pretty sure they're gonna cut her off and she's going to have to do this on her own. With the help of only me and her boyfriend of course," Taraji explained in one breath. Jackie sat back in the seat and shook her head. She was appalled by Tracie's parents.

She let out a breath and looked back at Taraji. "You are a good friend and a good person. I'll never understand why people think that making their children's lives harder after a mistake is a good thing. She'll be stronger after this journey, but she shouldn't have to struggle so hard already. Tell her to come up here Monday. I'll put her to work," Jackie said, looking at the time and standing up.

Taraji stood up too, following Jackie back up front. They saw a crowd form outside the door and started to feel anxious. Raji hugged Ms. Jackie before she started to walk to let everyone in. "Thank you so much," Taraji said. Jackie smiled and hugged her back, "Of course baby. Just make sure you are careful and no mistakes come from you. I can't support 2 newborns. This store hasn't even opened yet."

They both laughed and Ms. Jackie unlocked the doors. "Welcome to Jayla's Boutique! Go ahead and look around. If you need any help, just ask Taraji or myself and we can assist you," Jackie professionally announced. Raji marveled at all the people and children that showed up. Some customers traveled a few hours just to come to Ms. Jackie's new store.

A pregnant woman caught her attention as she browsed the newborn clothes. Raji didn't notice her face, just this giant belly that was in front of her. The voice of a little girl filled her ears. "Mommy, I like this dress," the girl showed a pink dress to the pregnant woman. "It's pretty Apryl. Let me see the size," Taraji recognized the voice. She looked at the woman's face and saw her father's side hoe.