Just a Start of Something New.

The satellite creaked quietly through its orbit around the earth. It’s watchful gaze examining all that there is to examine about the continent that it’s currently stationed above: North America. The satellite’s current and only resident arose from their slumber to continue their mission of being the guardian of earth. The artificial gravity holding their body down steady to stand and go through the usual motions of nothing eventful. Despite the two-part satellite holding the ability to hold a crew of five people, Aston was alone.

Aston had been alone for a few years now and have been only fighting the cabin fever through recollection of the time when their crew was with them, all of them studying the radars and the telescope for any hope of life. When humanity started to give up, they started to pull the crew back, beckoning them with humanity’s desire to grow on the new planet that they landed on. Aston stayed behind, and became one of the ten guardians of earth.

Each continent had their own satellite, exception of Africa for sheer size of the continent. Aston was living through the motions as they had for years before. Rising from the cot, they walked to the canteen, where the rations have been rationed even further to accommodate for only one person. Despite receiving so many packages from humanity, they have been sending fewer and fewer rations to the station, almost seeming like they want Aston to leave the station soon. Aston loved earth.

Aston's first memories were on the planet before the evacuations, before the people of earth decided that earth was a sinking ship that humanity put a hole in. Aston turned on music and  chose Bach's more famous piece Tocca and Fugue in D minor. They remember the days when the crew would make fun of Aston for playing classical instead of playing the newer music hits of the day. After they ate, Aston walked across the bridge, their view only focused on the other side. There used to be days when Aston would only look at earth, but now all hope seems to be lost.

Their focus was only to the main part of the satellite. The earth’s dusty crust was in the corner of their eye, but so was a dark thing. Aston ignored it continuing to walk across the bridge,  eyes to the door that was left open from the day before. The walk seemed much longer than usual. The dark spot bothering Aston was becoming more bothersome. And so they turned and looked. Time had slowed when Aston was looking at the thing that bothered their mind. The object in question didn’t really have a form of any sort, but looked like a large black cloud.
“That doesn’t seem right,” Aston spoke gruffly as they had not spoken a word since the last goodbye to their crew mate. The words echoed through the satellite. The lights seemed brighter, and the mass that moved down the continent looked so much darker than before. Aston felt dizzy from the sight and there were dark spots appearing before his eyes, before everything suddenly went black.