25) Something Worth Dying For (Lee-Ann)

“What are we doing?” As of right now Glen, Izz, and I are standing behind the campsite. All that there is in front of us is a long stretch of sand and ground. There is nothing to see for miles and miles. It’s a hot day today. Kenny sent Gill and Tony to go find water; we’re running out. They won’t be back for a while. I wish that wasn’t the case, I’m as thirsty as I’ve ever been.

There are knives, guns, and other things I do not know of, lying beneath Glen and Izz’s feat. My one question is why I’m here. They don’t look like they have any interest in helping “train” me. I told Kenny that it was a loss cause. He just wants me to be able to defend myself. Uncle Marcus taught me how to shoot a gun, I can defend myself. Hell, I’ve killed a man. Not just a man, but Geryson’s son Andrew. Of course, nobody but Glen knows that. I never said that I wanted it to be a secret, but Glen took it upon himself to make it one. I can’t really complain. Greyson already has a bounty on my head because of the chip I have in my right pocket, last thing I need his him wanting me dead for the death of his son.

“Hey! I asked you guys a question!” Glen turns toward me.

“We are training.” I shake my head. That still didn’t answer why I was here.

“What am I supposed to do? Just stand here?” Izz laughs at me.

“Yes, girlie. You will just stand there. It’s just best that Kenny thinks you’re being trained by us. He worries about you too much. It’s not like you’re even going into combat…” I shake my head.

“I’m not. He wants me to be able to defend myself though. He just doesn’t believe that I can.” There is a smirk on Glen’s face. Izz seems doubtful.

“Sure…” Glen kicks up a knife off the ground. It flies high in the air, then ends up perfectly upwards in his right hand. I gawk at him. How did he do that? It dawns on me that I’ve never seen him use anything but a gun. Izz has an fascinated spark in here eye.

“Impressive, Yarder.” He raised an eyebrow at her.

“You haven’t seen anything yet, Izzy.”  Her eyes narrow at him.

They are testing each other’s weaknesses, and trying to find out which buttons to push. I’m not exactly sure why. Something about the way their acting is similar to that of a canine. It’s almost like their feeling each other out as if Glen was a new wolf that was wandering into the pack. I just watch the facial expressions between them.

Izz walks over to a big piece of wood. There is a target in the middle of the wood. The wood has a million little dents in it. This must be what they use for target practice, with knives. Izz walks back over toward Glen and picks up another knife off the ground. She stands diagonal to him.

“You go first, Yarder.” He scowls. I look to see a grin on Izz’s face. She was enjoying this.

Glen positions himself correctly and gets ready to throw the knife. I watch in amazement as he lets go of the knife and it flies as fast as the win at the target. There is a wisp sound, then a bang. I look down at the target and see that the knife is directly in the middle of the bulls-eye. I stand that amazed. I knew that he was good, but not that good.

The look on Izz’s face isn’t as astounded as mine. She looks impressed but not as much as I am. She lightly pushed Glen out of the way. She gets in a similar stance that Glen was just in. She flips the knife around in her hands a few times before throwing it. When she throws the knife, it’s not as fast as Glen’s. It flies with more grace than his did. The sound it makes it makes is more of a whoosh than a wisp. Then I hear a clang and then something falls. I glance and see that Izz has knocked Glen’s knife completely off the board, and has completely taken its place in the center of the bulls-eye.