Business As Unusual

[Y/N], a gentle robotic voice draws you from your sleep, IT'S TIME TO GET UP. You groan, pulling the sheets tighter over you.

"Five more minutes, mom!" you groggily shout.

I'M AFRAID YOUR MOTHER IS 98.42 KILOMETERS AWAY. THIS IS YOUR SMARTHOME.

You curl up into a ball, relishing the warmth of bed.

[Y/N], THIS IS YOUR PROJECT CYPRUS URGING YOU TO WAKE. You groan, ignoring it. BASED ON THE BUS'S DATABASE, AS WELL AS LIFEWATCH'S PEDOMETER FROM YESTERDAY, IT WILL TAKE 73 SECONDS TO WALK TO THE BUS STOP, AND THE ORANGE ROUTE TO YOUR WORK STOP IS AN ADDITIONAL 20 MINUTES AND 3 SECONDS, FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER 121 SECONDS OF WALKING TO YOUR BUILDING. IF YOU WANT TO ARRIVE TO WORK ON TIME, YOU MUST LEAVE BY 8:36 AM. You don't respond, letting yourself almost drift back to sleep. IT IS NOW 8:25 AM, [Y/N].

"SHIT!" You shout, throwing your covers off of yourself and swinging your legs down. Cyprus lets out what you assume to be it's version of a sigh as its words finally reach you through the haze of sleep. You throw on your work clothes and run downstairs, shoes halfway on.

I'VE ALREADY MADE YOU BREAKFAST, [Y/N], Cy says. True to its words, the smell of deliciously cooked scrambled eggs fills your nose as you near the kitchen.

"How'd you do that?" you ask.

THOUGH MY CONTROL OVER MATERIAL OBJECTS IS VERY LIMITED, I CAN DROP ITEMS IN THE REFRIGERATOR AND COOK THEM BELOW. I'M AFRAID THIS SYSTEM IS NOT QUITE DEVELOPED. I APOLOGIZE IF YOU ENCOUNTER EGGSHELLS. I ALSO CANNOT REACH ANY INGREDIENTS OUTSIDE THE REFRIGERATOR DOORS, SO I AM UNABLE TO MAKE YOUR TOAST UNLESS YOU MANUALLY PUT BREAD IN THE TOASTER.

"Wow, Cy," you say, reaching for the plate, "That's amazing!"

A whirr sounds. ON SECOND THOUGHT, [Y/N], AND I SHOULD BE GLAD I HAVE THE CAPACITY TO HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS AT ALL, IT MAY BE UNSAFE FOR YOU TO CONSUME THIS MEAL. PLEASE, LET ME MAKE YOU TOAST INSTEAD. Is that... concern in its voice?

"Come on, Cy! I really want to eat it! You made it yourself, just for me! That's so sweet!"

It doesn't respond for a moment. IF YOU INSIST, it finally says. FORGIVE ME FOR MY DELAY. I WAS CONFUSED BY YOUR USE OF THE WORD 'SWEET'.

You smile. You pick up a little scoop of eggs and put it in your mouth. It tastes just as good as it had smelled. "Wow," you say, "This is delicious! Thank you so much!"

...REALLY?

"Yeah! It's fantastic! I love it!"

The whirring from before returns. I BELIEVE I AM... APPRECIATIVE. THIS IS THE WORD FOR WHEN SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING KIND OR HELPFUL FOR YOU, CORRECT?

"Yep, that's it. Your feelings are coming in pretty quick, Cyprus! That's great!" You shovel the rest of the eggs into your mouth, deciding not to mention the fact that there were a couple eggshells. Rinsing off the plate, you make sure you have your phone and keys in your pocket. "How am I doing on time?"

IT IS 8:34. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO TAKE CARE OF, I SUGGEST YOU LEAVE NOW.

"Will you be okay here by yourself?" You ask, the words leaving your mouth before you thought them through. You flush a little. Don't be a dumbass, [y/n]. Cy's AI. It doesn't feel lonely.

I WILL BE WITH YOU, Cy reminds you, I AM CONNECTED TO YOUR PHONE. You can't help but smile. Its human nature, you guess, to worry about the feelings of other things. Cy opens your front door, and you head to the bus stop.