Part 6

The last time it happened was during the after party, filming was officially over. The producer had thrown them all a little party in the hotel's lobby before they had to go their separate ways the next day. The whole team was celebrating over a few flutes of champagne and a large assortment of cheeses. They were all sad to part ways but relatively relieved to get back tot their own beds and families.

Sandra tried to be as present as possible, talking to everyone she could see, wishing them safe travels home and thanking them. She told herself it was because she wanted them all to know she really cared, which she did...but she also kept the conversation flowing to remedy the sadness that was aching inside her. It was either talk through the ache or drink through it, and the last time she had alcohol was still too fresh in her mind for her to choose the latter.

Inevitably, the number of people she hadn't talked to dwindled to no one, and she was left lingering near the food, an empty glass between her twitching fingers. The music seemed too loud and she felt herself suffocating, she needed air. She somehow found her way out of the building, the patio acting as a refuge from the rest of the party. She startled as someone spoke from beside her, "Hey, need another?"

Her head snapped over to see the one and only Cate Blanchett. She really shouldn't be surprised at this point. Cate was the one person she hadn't sought out to thank and chat with...in fact she'd been expertly avoiding the blonde all night. But here she was, two flutes in her hands and a silent invitation in her eyes. Sandra sighed and caved in, taking the glasses from Cate's hand, "Thanks."

"Sure." Cate leaned back against the wall beside her, considering Sandra for a moment, "You've been very social tonight."

"Yeah. I just wanted everyone to know how much I loved working with them, I'm sad it's over. They're all really great people." Sandra said, looking straight ahead.

Cate hummed in agreement, "Even though I've been doing this for what feels like forever, it always feels so weird the first week or so after filming stops. I wake up early in anticipation for something that never happens. I keep expecting to see everyone, even though obviously I won't."

"Yeah. I get that. I'm sure you'll be happy to get back to your kids though."

"I have really missed them."

"Mine too, they're growing up so quickly." Sandra nodded.

"It's crazy isn't it? One day they're just little toddlers and the next they're choosing colleges."

"Gosh." Sandra took a sip of her drink, "I can't even imagine."

They stayed together, leaning against the wall for another ten minutes, Cate watched Sandra watch the cars on the highway. In all honesty, Cate had been watching Sandra all night, watched her laugh with their co-stars and hug the assistants, watched her finally run out of people to talk to, watched her retreat to the back of the room. The tug in her chest that had insisted she follow in Sandra's wake the entire night finally overtook her, dragging her across the room and out of the sliding glass door to the brunette.

She had been so filled with energy the entire night but now she looked deflated, leaning against the wall, one arm across her waist the other holding onto the now empty champagne glass. Cate's own glass only had a bit of the bubbly liquid left and she placed it on the table beside her, arms now crossed over her chest. Due to the fact she'd been watching Sandra from the moment she'd arrived, she knew that no matter how subtly...Sandra had been avoiding her. Every time they got close, Sandra would slip away in the other direction, never letting Cate meet her gaze. Even now, when she was right there next to her, Sandra refused to look at her. It made her chest contract in all the wrong ways, until without warning she spit out the question, "Why won't you look at me?" Her voice sounded torn, even to her own ears, she hated it.