Chapter 2: Misfire Number One

The Next Day

"... so, sensei, I know you're still angry with him about the fight, but what do you think? Is it okay?"

"GRR... Bakugou... you want to... ARGH..."

"Just meet with him, that's right."

"Up... RRRRRGH... up on... RRRAARGH..."

"... The roof?"

"ROOF!" shouted Ryo Inui, also known as Hound Dog, U.A.'s guidance counselor. Froth flew from the edges of his muzzle. "ROOF ROOF ROOF ROOF ROOF ROOF..."

"I'll, uh..." Ochako swallowed and took a few steps backward. "I'll just come back another time."

"BARK," Inui-sensei added. And furthermore, expanding on that statement: "BARK! GRR RARRGH BARK BARK BOW WOW WOW WOW BARK!" He continued much in that manner even as he tore apart his desk drawer, eventually producing a sheet of paper and a well-chewed pencil. Frantically he waved at Ochako to wait a moment.

"Inui-sensei? Is there something else?"

"SNARL. BARK BARK—BOW WOW WOW—WOOF WOOF, WOOF." As he spoke, he scribbled something—not without considerable difficulty—then pushed it in Ochako's direction. "BARK."

"For me?" Ochako took it. Deciphering the scrawl across the page took a moment, but it said:

"aIZAwa-

perMIsioNN graaaantED for aruuuu uRUu urararara OCHAKO to gO DOrm rooFFFTop w/ baKUGOu durng howse ARRest!!!

- iNui"

At least, she was reasonably sure that was what it said. Ochako's face lit up like the sun. "Th-thank you, Inui-sensei! Thank you! I'll be sure Bakugou-kun doesn't get into any more trouble, I promise!"

"GRR," said Inui-sensei. He sounded doubtful... somehow.

"Thanks again, sensei! Excuse me!" Ochako bowed and hurried out of the office, clutching the permission slip to her test. Now to hope that Aizawa-sensei was just as agreeable...

*****

Later That Day

"Goddammit, I told you not to be late!"

Ochako cringed as she threw open the door to the dorm's rooftop. She was slightly out of breath. "Sorry, sorry! I got caught up helping the girls deal with Mineta-kun..."

Bakugou raised an eyebrow.

"He, uh..." Ochako fidgeted under his gaze. "He tried to get away with another pair of Yao-momo's underwear from the laundry. Yao-momo and Jiro-chan stuffed him in a trash can and I levitated it into a tree. A-anyway, s-sorry again. Sorry," she stammered, bowing a few more times for good measure.
"Knock it off!" A few pops came from Bakugou's fist as he clenched it. "If I want your goddamn apologies, I'll ask for 'em!"

"Sorr—er, okay!" As she rose back up, she presented the cellophane-wrapped package to him... rather more roughly than she intended, so it came out as more of a shove. Her lip trembled as she waited for his reaction...

"What," said Bakugou, stomping over for a closer look, "... the hell... are these?"

"C-cupcakes... from the convenience store on Orudo Street..." Ochako broke out in a sweat. It was possible—likely, even—that she had made a grave miscalculation here. Boys, as a rule, disliked being seen eating sweets... Rikido Sato being a logical exception, since his Quirk depended on it. To a boy who was obsessed with appearing tough and manly at all times—like Bakugou, for example—being given cupcakes was probably a grave insult to his masculinity. Maybe if she was lucky, they'd find her body sooner rather than later, before it started to smell. "I, uh," she stammered, "I j-just thought I should th-thank you for—"