PROLOGUE

Please vote, comment and share. Stay Blessed.

NARRATOR' POV

She had just put to bed.

God knows she should be resting up and recovering all that was lost in the most painful 24 hours of her life.

Estelle got up, weary, tired in the eyes and discomforted by the sharp ache in her neteher regions.

She prepared for the pain but it was like everything she did was futile.

Staring at her form in the oak lined antique mirror majestically placed by her wall, she sighed.

All for nothing.

Her gaze unwillingly drifted to the baby who was fast asleep in the crib beside her.

She had failed at her only successful attempt.

Fifteen years of barrenesss and all she could come up with was a weak baby girl.

She felt like hitting herself, crushing her own feelings.

The little unsuspecting bundle of pain squirmed and Estelle found her mother instincts warming her from within outwards.

The baby was pretty, Golden brown silken smooth mane with the oddest bright hazel eyes ever.

She may have passed off as a blessing if the situation was in reverse.

She felt cheated and hoodwinked. Even the ultrasound scan lied to her. It told her she was expecting a heir and not, well — this.

She caressed the silver streaks lining her still protruding belly. She knew, all the peace around her will be shattered soon.

By her calculations, Leo, her husband should be bearing down by now.

The doula already left to give the bad news to him that the only thing he will be fathering is a female child.

Leo is not a bad man nor is he a bad husband, he was just desperate at this point. His position in the Mafia world will be threatened pretty soon and he needs an heir to guarantee that his bloodline thrives.

Streaks of tears gushed down her flushed face.

She failed.

As if the baby sensed her poor mood, she started wailing uncontrollably.

Estelle debated whether to grant the baby some comfort or just leave her to wail till she bites the dust.

Never.

A chilling feeling travelled in retrograde manner through her spine.

She knew without a doubt that she loved her babe no matter the gender.

She made her way over to the crib and picked up the sweet looking baby.

She fished through her sweaty camisole and pulled out her heavy breast to nurture the infant.

She soon found herself lost in the bliss of the moment. She was finally a mother and although it was a bittersweet thing, she wanted to enjoy the moment.

She had dozed off with her baby in her warm embrace.

It wasn't until she felt strong hands yank the infant from her hold, that she jolted up from her slumber.

Leo, no, the beast in Leo stared back at her.

To think there was a time when she loved how determined and suffocatingly handsome he looked.

Now, that gaze filled her with terror.

She reached out her hands to take her baby back. God knows what was running through the mind of the crazy Mafia boss. What if he wanted to feed her to the vultures.

No way!

"Por favore, por favore!" Estelle screamed in distress while still clamoring for the little infant to be back in her arms.

(Please, please)

"Give the bambino to me now. I do not have time for your craziness, woman!" Leonardo said as he took calculated steps away from his wife whilst unrelenting in his hold on the baby.

He hated her already and she wasn't even an hour old yet.

Estelle tried to double cross him for the child but many years of studying human behaviour prepared him for her action. He twarted her attempt and successfully snatched away the little one, who was still in fact, sleeping in bliss, unaware of the turbulence occuring between its creators.

He turned away from her and signalled to his guard to restrain his wife just before she could attack him.

She screamed like a mad woman and wriggled until she couldn't anymore. Slipping to the ground in defeat, she murmured hoarsely but loud enough for her husband's ears.

"Why are you doing this? What are you going to do to my babyyy? What is happening to us Leo? What are you turning into?"

She spoke quietly as a train of tears gushed down her pretty face.

"The right thing" Leo grumbled out while looking at the baby in his hands. If only she had been a boy.

"Why didn't you tell me I was marrying a monster?...why?!!"

With more force, she screamed.

He stared back to her, a flash of guilt on his face but quickly brushed it aside.

"For a person of my status, power supersedes everything mia càra, everything" he stared at her again and nodded to his bodyguard present there, gesturing him to look after his wife before heading out of the gloomy room.

(My dear)

"Whatever you do Leo, don't kill my child" Estelle sounded a note of warning into the air, watching the door slam behind her husband's back.

Another trickle of tears soon escaped.

Fernando— the young bodyguard, didn't know how to console the woman, so he built a fire in the chimney and stood by the door with arms folded while watching the finished woman drift into a black hole near the cackling pit of flame.

Meanwhile, in their great yard, awaiting their leader, was a herd of over a hundred men, drinking, gambling and fondling their ladies.

"Ahem!!!" at this, everyone stopped in their actions to acknowledge the sound which emanated from their host, their boss.

Leonardo Vitale stood at the threshold of his giant staircase with the baby in hand.

He looked at her and knew he couldn't kill her even if it was for the sake of his wife. He devised a plan right there, not even holding his breath before spewing a lie that will change the fate of the baby. He beared down at his men with a voice so powerful, everywhere was silent.

"For the reason with which we are all gathered here, for a pact made in blood, sweat and money, I present to you all, my true heir, Carlo Vitale" as he said this, something flew to his mind and he added

"Carlo R. Vitale...fai da te!" raising the now whining infant to the air in acknowledgement as his people cheered him on.

(Do it yourself)

He smiled at the little pawn in his game of power. He place was secured but at the detriment of the bundle in his hands.

He was willing to take the chance. She  should have died in the belly but she chose to come to the harsh world anyway, so be it.

"Benvenuto"

(Welcome)

The mafia boss smiled to himself.