Chapter 2

Bless you as you Vote, comment and share.
That's the only encouragement I need from you so please, don't forget to do so.

NARRATOR'S POV

Fernando Gutierrez

He wasn't an easy man at all. On a contrary, he was tough. So tough to the extent that he remained the only unshakable and most trusted bodyguard of the late Leonardo Vitale.

As a boy, he always knew he was destined for tough decisions and it showed with every step he took in life. All those steps leading him right to the doorstep of the foreboding mafia boss.

He could still remember the ill-fated day by heart, every scene replaying off his brain like the most colloquial thing to happen.

He was a cobbler, he made fine shoes and in days he didn't, he cleaned and polished dirts off them. Had no parents and slept under a worn out tapoline in the slippery squirmy rodent-infested alleyways just off Florence.

Fate shined a bright light on him the moment a warm splatter of blood from Capo Leonardo's then victim, stained his crocodile bespoke Versace loafers

The sixteen year old boy was having a bad sales day as usual, trying to decide if to keep the money with him for lunch on the morrow or just pay off his debt to the loan shark, when he heard the squabbles.

The capo's men were desperate, searching for new shoes for the boss.

He did what he knew best then, made the toughest decision of his life. Like hell itself was on his tail, he took determined steps towards the men in suits. He broke through the man-made makeshift barricade surrounding the formidable boss and fell down to his kneees, calling out loud with his surprisingly sturdy voice while staring at the red stained Crocodile leather shoes on the boss's feet.

"If you will allow me sir, I will clean it up like it never happened", he found himself holding his breath as he risked a stare into the meanest orbs of amber ever.

If he was going to die tonight then so be it but he was going to do it as a man.

Everyone around the Capo also held their breaths.

The boy was foolish and how did he even get past the guards?

Two hefty men already anchored both of his grime-covered biceps, in preparation to kick his arse to the curb for bringing his tattered appearance to the boss just like that. He didn't have it in him to fight back. If they let go off easy, that meant another day to make tough decisions.

"Fermare!" The boss commanded and just like that, every movement stopped and all persons present were stunned to silence.

(stop!)

"Qual è il tuo nome, ragazzo?" The boss asked over the silence as the guards dropped him back on the floor, on his two sure feet.

(what is your name boy?)