6.

Rena laid in bed, counting the stars that were visible to her through the small crack of the window. the cold breeze blew on her face when she decided to turn around and see her roommates. Two of them were already sleeping, when one of them continued to lie awake. Rena carefully studied the movement of the trace she was doing on her arms. Rena looked down at her own arms and felt her own finger trace the faint lines. 

"scars?" She asked. Rena could only nod and look up at her. "I got some sweets. I don't think we're going to be sleeping anytime soon." Rena slowly began to sit on the bed and finally came up with the courage to walk to the bed and sit next to the girl. Chocolate frogs and jelly slugs were all she had left. Rena picked up a chocolate frog and smiled in gratitude. 

"You're close to those two," Rena whispered, as she quietly opened the package.  

"We met up on the train. It's hard to get rid of them." One of the girls seemed to stir in her sleep when she finally spoke and grabbed her glasses in the process. 

"What are you to doing up?" She asked and looked at her. 

"I'm talking to..." Rena took a bite of the chocolate and covered her mouth before speaking. 

"Rena" She finally realized that she knew none of their names, even if she was now sharing a conversation with them, and even had started sharing snacks. 

"nice to meet you." She hugged her and turned to the other. "To Rena here before you rudely interrupted. Trying to finish this candy before you and Petra do so." Rena looked down at her hands and smiled as the girl next to her shoving a small bag of jelly slugs on to her. The blonde turned in her bed and opened her eyes. 

"What time is it?" 

"3 am."  Rena immediately turned her head to look at the clock and giggled. It had been forever that she had stayed up so late in any form that wasn't.. well that form. 

"wake me up for breakfast." 

"There you go again with the food." Rena sat quietly on the bed as the girls began to fumble around the ground. The not so quiet grunts and laughter coming from them, made Rena realize that the girls she was sharing the room with weren't so bad, and might even give them the chance to be her friends. She wanted to write to her father quickly, telling him all about the three girls who stay up late at night fighting over jelly slugs. 

"Come on, Rena. This couch is amazingly comfortable. I can't just enjoy this by myself." 

In cases like the one she was just witnessing, Rena enjoyed the unconditional love and attention that her parents gave her. Jane and Petra (whose names she finally learned) held Sierra's hand as the howler continued to scream. When enough was enough, Sierra grabbed the howler and kept it close to her until it self-destructed. It was the exact moment where Rena took out a piece of parchment paper and wrote a request to stay at the school for the holidays. There was something in her that tugged her heartstrings to stay to keep the upset girl company for the cold nights. Rena looked at her new friends and made her way quickly to her owl as she kept warm where the rest where.

"Don't leave until mum gives you a response, okay?" The owl let out a hoot and flew away as Rena made her way back to the room.

"She acts insane" Was the first thing that left Rena's mouth when she entered the room.

"Rena, my mother is the definition of insanity." The four girls looked at each before sighing and laying on their own bed, their feet touching the ground. "You guys going home?"

Jane was the first one to say she had asked for permission to stay at school. Rena felt content in a way she felt like she wouldn't be spending the holidays alone either. 

"I did too. I mean, it's not like I'm going to do something at home besides watch muggle Christmas movies and drink hot cocoa. We can do that here... minus the movies." Petra added, sitting up herself. The three of them looked at Rena who shrugged and smirked.

"I asked and I'm waiting for a response." 

~~

The letter of the "okay" came that same night. Rena smiled as she read the letter, her parents relieved and very happy that she had made friends with girls and of her age. They of course asked about Mark and Liam, who she hadnt spoke to in a day or two, but mentally set a reminder to tell them about her parents. 

"Did you get the okay?" Petra asked as the two girls brushed their teeth. 

"I did. Mum is relieved I have friends" Petra laughed and showed Rena her own letter. 

"My mum too. I guess its a good thing we met, right?" 

"It's a very good thing, Petra... very good thing"