Present

(So...what do you think so far? Do you like the characters? I hope their development isn't to slow for you...there is plenty more to come.  Enjoy.)

"6th floor, please." Carrying two shopping bags in one hand and 2 grocery bags in the other, Casse was glad there was someone else going up in her buildings elevator. She'd lived here for a week and the only person she knew was Ms. Metz.  Ms. Metz lived on the third floor and was outspoken and super judgmental.  "What do you mean you're not married? You're pregnant? Who does that?" Ms. Metz was that one.

"No problem." A very deep, male voice answered from someplace above her head. Casse turned to thank him, and secretly take a peek. Pregnant or not, she was still a girl, after all.

She wished she hadn't.  He had to have been at least a foot and a half taller than her, as she was looking up at his very well shaped Adam's apple. His hair was a little darker than chocolate, but not quite black and styled on the longer side.  If it hadn't been swept back, it might have covered his  ears. He had full lips, though they didn't look like they smiled much. His eyes though...she couldn't see his eyes well, and it was probably for the best. She'd gotten caught up in a pretty set of ocular organs before.  Her eyes slid down his body to his waist, then away. She looked down at her belly.

Standing beside him, she felt 100 years pregnant and 80 lbs heavier than she already was.  In an instant, she was acutely aware of what she was wearing and what she wasn't. Edmund's shapeless brown t-shirt (she was pretty sure there was a bleach stain someplace on it) had once been a flattering fit on her, now stretched a bit across the midsection. She'd paired it with a red, bo-ho style skirt (the first thing she'd touched) and it matched not at all. Black flip flops and a super-messy ponytail completed her look. No makeup. No jewelry. No chance.

"Thank you." Moving to the back of the elevator car, that only held the two of them, she tried to disappear. His coal gray, business suit and matte finished, black shoes mocked her. He was completely put together. His hair was obviously held in that perfect swish by something, but it was not greasy. His tie was well suited to the suit he wore, adding a pop of color without being garish or overstated. And he smelled good.

Turning her head as if to adjust her purse strap, Casse did the secret sniff. She hadn't showered this morning. It just hadn't mattered until now.

"Still fresh." she said quietly to herself.

"Pardon?" His voice reached out to her, smooth and rich like coffee.

"Nothing. Just talking to myself." She looked up at the floor numbers as they changed, slightly embarrassed and so glad he couldn't hear her thoughts.

"Oh. No problem. That is said to be one of the traits of highly successful people." He smiled. Yup, even his teeth were perfect.

"Really. I was always told it just means your crazy." she smiled, showing no teeth. More than that shower had been left off this morning.

"No. Its when you answer yourself back that there is a problem."

Cassi smiled again, having heard that already, but wanting to seem interested.

"Here we go." The elevator stopped he offered to help her with her bags.

"No thanks. I don't want to hold you up." She started past him. He held onto the grocery bags.

"You aren't. This is my floor as well." He easily leveraged the grocery bags as well as the shopping bags from her hands, smiling slightly the whole time.

"Which way?" He pointed toward the hall with his chin.

"Oh. Umm...number 11. 611." She hustled, not quite at full waddle to walk ahead of him to open the door to her apartment. Plus, she didn't want to stand beside him. She was sure the casual passerby would see them as a walking ad for 'wear this, not that'.