Life

The attempted french braid, was just that, an attempt. Casse pulled her mane into a standard bun and brushed gel through her edges. She sometimes dreamed about getting a relaxer or texturizer, but she loved her natural hair on every day but days she wanted it to do things it couldn't. African-American and Puerto Rican dna had come together to give her long, beautiful hair, but had also given her super thick hair. At 4:30 in the morning, impossibly thick hair.

Looking over her reflection in the full length mirror, Casse checked her front.

"Boobs in place, belly covered..." she checked her face.

"Eyeliner straight, lips tinted just right..."she wanted to impress her new employer. She had noticed that most of the ladies in the house wore the same basic makeup look, if any and she just wanted to look the part.

Then she checked her behind. Looking over her shoulder in the mirror she sighed.

"Please stop growing...." Her behind had always been her best frenemy. At times it had been her best asset (pun intended) but now, she felt like it was getting out of control.  It seemed to her like all of her pregnancy weight was settling there. She shook her head. 

Checking her overall appearance once more, Casse approved. She was told that the outfit changed a few times a year, but were always stylish and always provided by Grandma.

The uniform for Waterston Manor was currently a white, long sleeved, high-low blouse with an a-line cut, black pants or long skirt and black flats. Jewelry was allowed but must be minimal and tasteful. Casse only wore one pair of earrings today, and the single, short string of pearls that matched.

The out fit was basic, but she thought it was a little sexy too. The blouse had been fitted to her perfectly the day before. It allowed room for her stomach to grow, but still fit her arms and chest closely enough to not be dumpy. Best maternity shirt ever.

Even without seeing her face or having ever seen her outfit, Aiden recognized the sway of her hips as Casse made her way to the elevator. He couldn't even smile about it. Smiling required being awake, which he was sure he was not.

Casse pressed the call button and the doors opened immediately.

"Oh yeah!" she knew it was going to be a great day. No waiting for the elevator meant no running for the bus. 

Aiden was halfway there when she stepped inside and turned to face the hall.

"C'mon, you can do it." She laughed. It was a beautiful husky sound, normally. Right now, it grated against his nerves. Every sleep deprived nerve along his spine and out into his hands and feet, reacted to she sound of her laughter. They wanted sleep...well, sleep and other things. Her laughter surely wasn't one of them.

Aiden ground his teeth, the muscle in his jaw jumping.

"How can you be so awake?"He grumbled, his shoulders slumped in another amazing suit. This one was a dark burgundy worn over a black, button down, crew neck shirt. His wingtips were polished to a high shine.

"Woah!" Casse, had given him the once over and approving thumbs up, but reached up and grabbed his face turning him manually to see his ears. Onyx studs set in silver completed today's ensemble.

Aiden stood still, willing his body not to overreact. Again. Casse was talking but he didn't know what she was saying,he could only feel the heat of her hands on either side of his face as she turned him this way and that to get a better look. She stopped when their eyes met, but didn't drop her hands right away.

"You should let me go now." His voice was low, but held a note of urgency she hadn't heard from him before. She reacted as if he had shouted. Jumping away, she rubbed her hands down her sides to smooth imaginary wrinkles from her blouse.