Alone

I had never traveled alone in my life. My parents were very protective when I was growing up. They would only let me go to someone's house if they knew the parents, or if they could send one of my siblings with me. They always insisted on coming on trips with the robotics team when I was in middle school, and even some of high school. I was never without my parents for more than a day.

When I was 16 my parents decided it would be nice to go to Disney World for the 5th time. Yet, my brother and I had different plans. We argued that we were old enough to go on our own trip alone and they could go on their own trip.. We argued many points, such as my brother's age (18) and mine, the fact that we were never actually away from my parents for over a day, and that we had enough money from our jobs to buy our own trip.

My mom was immediately against the idea, but my dad decided to actually discuss it with her before they gave us an answer. My brother and I waited for days on their answer. School was getting closer and closer to ending for Christmas break and we still hadn't gotten our answer. I was finally at my tipping point I approached my mom.

"Have you come to a decision on our proposal?" I asked her as we started driving towards my brother's high school.

She seemed unaffected by this comment as she continued driving, "yes your father and I believe that you should come with us to Disney World..."

I shook my head is disappointment and bit my lip,, "why?" I asked as calmly as I could, "our points were strong and valid."

She smiled slightly at this comment as she said, "I didn't finish. Even though we don't believe it is a good idea, your father convinced me that you guys should be trusted enough to go on one trip."

I smiled widely as I hugged my mom awkwardly, since we had seatbelts holding us back. As we got my brother I blurted out the good news. He was so excited that he bought the tickets as soon as we got home. We decided earlier that week to go to Hawaii for Christmas and my birthday, December 28th. We took our last finals the next day.

We packed the night before our flight. We had to go to bed early, since we had to be at the airport by 2 AM. As I was just getting to sleep I heard the worst sound in the bathroom. My brother was puking. I made a disgusting face as I walked into the bathroom.

My brother smiled pitifully at me as he said, "guess that lunch was no good. Looks like you'll be going to Hawaii alone."

I looked at him confused as a asked, "couldn't we just get on another flight. We don't have to go in 5 hours."

He shook his head, "this was the cheapest flight. The others are over one thousand dollars and we just don't have that kind of money."

I nodded, "guess I should get some sleep." He agreed as I walked back to my room.

My brother drove me the next day to the airport. It was a normal day, first get my luggage checked then go through airport security. Then I went on the train under the airport and to my plane. I waited for maybe 30 minutes before we left. I was going to be on a 7 hour flight, so I decided to just fall asleep.

When I woke up we had landed Kona International Airport. I got off the plane fine, but that is when everything started going south. I couldn't find my way out of the airport until, finally, I followed someone out. Then I had to get into a cab with someone I didn't even know. Maybe I was being paranoid, but I could have sworn he kept checking me out.

I got out of the cab and ran into my hotel. I checked in and satin my bed. This was a bad decision. Why did I decide to go alone. I knew my parents would not have allowed it. Sadly, they were gone at the time. I decided I was going to be brave and enjoy my time. I got off the bed and started walking towards the door. Then I walked back to my bed and sat. I was not going back out there.

My mind was going back and forth with itself. Should I go out and have fun or stay in my room and know that I am safe? I just couldn't decide. I stayed in my room that whole day. The next day was an unknown to me. I should go and have fun, but my fear was clouding my judgment.

The next day I arose to someone knocking on my door. I got up,and opened the door. I saw a man with a lovely breakfast in front of him. I smelled a sweet and salty scent.

I looked at him and asked, "who is this for?"

"Umm," he said as he looked at a not, "its to Ms. Rin Collin. Is that you?"

I nodded as I rudely took the note. It read,

Don't be such a mope

Get up and have fun for me

~Alex

I smiled as I took the breakfast. My brother knew me too well. That day I went outside my room and enjoyed myself. For the next seven days I did the same thing and more, surfing, exploring volcanoes, going to a luau, and even dancing and singing. It was one of the most fun times I had ever experienced in my life. Yet, I was still cautious like my parents taught me, at least cautious enough. I still travel alone to this day, and I'm still not dead.