Chapter X

Don woke up with a start. It was raining, and the dry patch that they were all sleeping on was now a large puddle of mud. Don jumped up, followed by Sarah, who awoke at the sound of the thunder. Shwertzin still laid in the puddle, snoozing away as Don and Sarah dragged him under another tree that didn't have much water underneath it.

"What do we do now?" Sarah asked, leaning up against the tree.

"Well, the plan is to march back." Don answered, putting his hands in his pockets.

Inside the red house, Diana looked out the window at the back of the woods. A weird thing was happening at the entry way. It looked to her as if an invisible umbrella was there. She threw on a rain coat and rushed over to the entrance.

"Hey, look! someone's coming! Maybe they can help us, and we can get out of here!" Don exclaimed.

Diana ran to the strange source and examined the bubble. She could see all the way though the other side to where the forest got too dark to see, but she could not walk through.

"Why is she acting like she can't see us? Hey, look at me!" Don shouted, banging on the force field.

A ripple in the wall right in front of Diana's face made her jump back.

"What was that?" She pondered aloud.

"Maybe it's the force field blocking her view." Sarah stated, waving her hand in front of Diana's face.

Diana looked even harder to see what had done that. She could not see anything at all, and if something was thrown, then Diana would have seen the object.

The rain poured down hard. Don and Sarah looked at each other and gave up. They were about to leave when Don remembered Shwertzin, who had turned his armor into a canopy in his sleep. Sarah walked over to him and slowly woke him up.

"Hey, Shwertzin, we need to go now." She told him when he finally woke up.

"Wait! Is dat de owner of de house?" Shwertzin pondered excitedly.

"Yes, but she can't see or hear us. We need to head back." Don said, standing farther down the path.

They left together, the rain still fell hard, and their footprints were left behind in the mud.

"Oh gosh! ghosts?!" Diana screamed, noticing the footprints appear in the mud.

Don looked back one last time at the woman who could have saved them, and saw on her face a look of terror. She was looking at the ground, wait, no, at their footprints!

"I need to try something!" Don called out to them, running back over to the force field.

Diana jumped back when the prints ran towards her. But then they stopped right at the invisible wall. All of the sudden, marks started to appear in the mud, and they said,

CAN YOU READ THIS?

Diana read the words and nodded her head yes with huge eyes. She whipped around to see how she could talk to the ghost. Diana dropped to the ground and wrote too.

ARE YOU A GHOST?

Don rolled his eyes, whipping away the previous message and answering.

NO.

WHY CAN'T I SEE YOU? Diana asked.

BECAUSE OF THE WALL BETWEEN US. LOOK, WE NEED YOUR HELP. WE ARE TRAPPED BEHIND THIS INVISIBLE BARIER WITH NOTHING TO SURVIVE WITH. DO YOU HAVE A CAR?

YES.

THEN BRING IT AROUND AND SEE IF YOU CAN BUST THIS THING DOWN. PLEASE! WE COULD DIE OUT HERE! Don finished writing and stood up.

Diana jumped up and ran to the front if her house. In the driveway sat her neat white Sedan with the rain bouncing off of it. She jumped in and drove to the back. Shifting into the highest gear, much regretting her choice, she slammed on the gas. Diana's car busted the wall into pieces, throwing glass like bits everywhere, and right before the mangled front of the vehicle hit Don, it stopped.

"Oh no! My car! I paid at lea--" Diana stopped after she got out and saw Don. "uh, hey!"