Chapter 10: The Master

The filth in Beaumont's heart is soothing to The Master's malevolent essence. He is standing in his sufficiently chosen dark lair learning about this, Beaumont "Mac" Reynolds. He absorbs every foul-thought, every dirty-deed committed, and basks in the pleasure that his host had experienced through it all. He especially enjoys the moment when Reynolds killed a man named Rick with his bare-hands—had beat him unconscious until his knuckles were bloody—for shortchanging him of monetary incentives on some sort of drug deal. Afterwards, he had dismembered the man and placed Rick's remains on his mother's doorstep. Yes, the merge with his host is most-exhilarating. As the process takes place, his servant kneels before him in servitude, awaiting his next instruction.

Once the merge—which will take several days and nights to attain full power—is complete, The Master will aim to deal with Bishop Morningside rather quickly. He must then return to his true purpose in serving Moloch, his demonic master. His personal feud with Bishop Morningside must not jeopardize the integrity of the unabetted sacrificial blood of innocents. Though Morningside's daughter is no longer of innocent-blood, she—this Dawn—must and will be given to Moloch none-the-less to honor the pact made by her father. Years will have passed since the pact was convened—and broken—but Moloch will still be pleased.

Did Bishop truly believe that he would remain hidden forever. How offensive, how foolish. The Master knew it was only a matter of time before he would find him. Time is a concept he can long-afford, a privilege humans have-not the luxury of savoring. The Master is looking forward to the deliberate slaughtering of Bishop's daughter while using her father's body as a host, so that he may witness with his own eyes, body, and soul every painful peel of the skin from her body. Bishop will wish to cry out in emotional agony as his daughter's dead, skinless, body lies lifeless in front of him. And it doesn't end there. The Master—as Bishop helplessly looks on—will rip Dawn Morningside's skeletal frame from her flesh, and crush it into dust, bone-by-bone.

But first, The Master must complete this merge with this magnificent host. He continues to delve into Reynolds's memory, and see's so many who have served him. This man was an imposing specimen when he was among the living. The Master and this host have much in common—both feared and respected, with no tolerance for failure. Reynolds had had so many servants who were deathly afraid of him, and now The Master has access to them all, and they will serve him in an all-important capacity.

The Master—as intricately powerful as he is even at less than full power—clearly understands that he must remain hidden. He must use servants, like the grotesque imp-being, to do his bidding until the moments arise in which he when he must intervene. For his plan involving Bishop Morningside and his offspring, he will raise many servants, not quite an army—yet—but a faction of ghouls to act as his line-of-defense. Their necessity cannot be ignored. He discovered long-ago that the meddling Believers of this world are relentless hunters that ought-not be underestimated.

The Master scans his host's mind further, and sees so many servants who have operated for Reynolds while he still breathed. Most of them as-of-late are young men and women who walk in darkness to do his will. Reynolds was a manipulative man who preyed on the young, found out what they longed for most and offered them delusions of grandeur. Some of his servants seemed to bask in his dark shadow, loyal to a fault. Others had changes of heart but it was of no consequence because once he had reeled them in, there was no escaping him. Still, there were those who tried to separate themselves from him and were punished severely for their folly—or worse. The Master found Reynold's methods to be impressive and utterly entertaining.

So many potential servants, but there was one in particular who was at the forefront of Reynold's memory. This one was troubled and dedicated, confused and driven. It seems he simply wants to belong, to be important to someone, anyone. The Master didn't know the root of this servant's problems, and nor did he care. All that concerns him is the boys drive and loyalty. Yes. This boy will serve nicely as the commander of his faction of ghouls.

The Master halts his merge momentarily to transmit a telepathic command to the disgusting, half-human imp. "Rise, foul Servant."

The imp-man rises to his cloven feet without the slightest hint of hesitation. "Yes, my Master," he said, with his cane-sword in his grip.

The Master transmits the visage of the boy and his dwelling to the imp-man's mind. "Bring this, Wesley Price, to me," he commands. "Unscathed."

"Yes, Master."

And with that, the imp-man was out of the factory and flying into the night.

The Master returns to his merging process, still delighted at what he was learning about Beaumont "Mac" Reynolds, and the control he had over his servants. They will make the most proficient of ghouls—especially Wesley Price.