Chapter Two

"Happy birthday-slash-anniversary," Patrick whispered from behind Matilda, causing her to jump, sending the paper she was holding flying. 

Matilda flung her hand over her heart and tried to catch her breath from being startled. "Patrick!" She exclaimed, "you scared me half to death!"

Patrick held his hands up in surrender, "I had to, you were so quiet and peaceful."

"Wouldn't that cause for a less scary approach?" Matilda smiled.

"Nah, you're cute when you're flustered." He said, wrapping his arms around her.

"Happy anniversary, and thank you," Matilda mumbled into his chest. They had only saw each other yesterday, but to both of them it had felt like years. "I don't know why we're celebrating an anniversary though, it seems a little silly. We've known each other for eleven years now."  

"Yeah, but I mean, we're not celebrating when we met." Patrick replies, replaying the day he found out she was a princess and they told each other how they really felt. That day played on repeat in his head and he wasn't going to let that excitement die.

Matilda giggled in agreement and they pulled away. Patrick held out a gift he was holding behind his back and Matilda gave him a confused look; "I thought we said no presents?"

"Yeah, but I don't play by the rules." He shrugged.

"You always play by the rules. You are nearly incapable of breaking a rule." Matilda said, holding the gift. Excitement filled her body and she tried hard not to show it. 

"I do to break rules. Just last night I was supposed to take the scraps out but I left it until this morning." Patrick said proudly. 

"Mmhm, very proud babe," Matilda laughed, opening the present. Inside the box was a beautiful crystal necklace. The crystal was a light purple and hung on a small silver chain long enough to hang below her her shirt line so it would be hidden and not raise questions, her wings lifted up in excitement. "Oh Patrick! It's beautiful!" She said, shocked. "But where did you get it? It must've cost an arm and a leg." She asked, looking up at him. His face had filled out and he had grown some more of that Elfish muscles that he always spoke of. Matilda had gotten into the habit of drinking in the sight of him, refusing to ever forget a single detail.

"I got the crystal from a cousin who works in the mines and I made the chain, nothing is ever too much for you," he replied, taking the crystal chain from the box and moving to put it around her neck. Once the necklace was clasped, he put his hands around her and leaned his head down to rest on her neck, careful not to hurt her wings that had been growing so quickly that he stuck out to the side more and nearly reach the middle of her thighs. Matilda lifted up her arms to wrap them around his and for a long time they stayed like that.

"What were you drawing on that paper before I scared you?" Patrick asked. He had always loved seeing the art that Matilda created. Gaining more and more pieces of what the world looked like through her eyes on each piece of paper, big and small that she could get her hands on.

"Nothing." She answered quickly.

"Then you wouldn't mind me looking then." Patrick said, moving to pick up the paper that Matilda had by her feet. 

"NO!" Matilda dropped for the paper seconds after Patrick held it. "It's really not that good," she said shyly, turning a shade of pink.

Patrick smiled and looked down at the picture. It showed both of them, smiling wide and eyes open. The picture was so detailed that it looked real, like someone had frozen time and all that was left was Patrick and Matilda. The picture looked so happy and full of life.