part ii: when she spoke

PART TWO
WHEN SHE SMILED

LENNIE woke up in the Deadlands. It was no surprise for him.

What did surprise him was one of the roots of the trees wrapped around  his torso, the tip prickling his lower back. He grabs the root, pulling himself up, and crawling out. Luckily the roots didn't squeeze him tighter and he slid out of its grasp. He patted away the pieces of dry leaves and dirt gripping the fabric of his clothes. He looks back at the roots while hugging his torso, trying to recollect how he'd end up tangled with roots.

Last thing he remembered was explaining Theo about his drawing. And he also remembered Theo drew a weird shape that he claimed that he was drawing a horse.

He reached for the pocket of his sweater to add another piece in his drawing. It was empty. He panicked.

He looked back at the tree but there was nothing there. There was a small crunching sound, slithering through the dry leaves. He quickly jerked his head around the tree to find the paper sliding away from him. With quick thinking, he ran to his drawing and trapped it with the piece of paper with his feet. Before he could find the source, it vanished rapidly, leaving a bright red light as it went deeper into the Deadlands.

Fucking Beetle Blade.

Lennie had only encountered them once and it was the week after he arrived at the Glade. It was the first time he had found himself waking up near the Deadlands and felt something crawling on his chest. He was blinded by the red light when he woke up that he couldn’t get a good view of the culprit. Gally  had mentioned it was a Beetle Blade, a small metal creature that was made by W.I.C.K.E.D., the same name that made the chaotic maze.

He continues to stare deeper in the Deadlands where the creature ran off to. He picked up the paper and looked out again. He unfolded the paper to reveal the drawing he made yesterday plus the “horse” that Theo drew. While folding it again, he placed it back in his pocket and looked to the deep dark of the Deadlands, waiting for the red light to appear running to him. The forest responded with silence.

When he stepped into the Glade, the sun hadn't come out and the Gladers were still sound asleep. He rubbed his eyes to remove the last strain of sleep and he jumped in surprise to see Newt standing next to him.

“Jesus,” he startled. “Don’t do that.”

Behind Newt was the new kid that came to the Glade yesterday. He had sandy brown hair, wearing a light blue long sleeve and some black pants. He didn’t look no older than 16. Maybe 17. The new kid looked down at Lennie’s mechanic hand and Lennie quickly placed them in his pockets.

“What are you looking at?,” he said and the new kid quickly shook his head and turned away, blushing in embarrassment. Great, now he’s having scenarios of what I am. He was used to the quick accusations, but it still bugged him.

“You’re keeping yourself out of trouble?,” Newt asked Lennie, diverting his eyes away from the new kid.

“Define ‘keeping myself out of trouble’,” he stated sarcastically. Newt rolled his eyes and pouted at him. “I’ll try my best.”

“Please don’t try,” Newt said. “Just do.”

Lennie looked back at the new kid and turned to the Deadlands. “You’re gonna do your thing, huh?”

“What can I say? I need to make sure this Greenie over here knows the rules of this bloody place.”

He remembered when Newt showed him around, including what occurred inside of the maze. If that’s the case for the new kid, or Thomas, Lennie will know he’ll shit his pants.