{ 22 }

Hey again! There isn't much to say this time, except HAPPY DUSSHERA! <3

I hope you all are having a great, long vacation! I thought this would be a good time to update, sorry if you had other commitments and this is a distraction :P For me, I have my finals next week, and I've been typing this all week so really, healthy distraction for me I guess :P Also this is super long, and I'm trying to work on my descriptive skills so let me know if you can 'feel' the scene, hehe :3

Apart from that, this is a mandatory appreciation comment that I'm loving the increased number of responses to my recent parts! I'm back into the old Illusions groove again, even if I'm not really regular at updating, my sincere apologies for that :(

Here's your treat for being such wonderful readers, and touching my heart. Warm wishes for any exams or major life changes this month, from my end :3 

---

Manik

It was 4 AM when my eyes swiftly fluttered open. I'd forgotten to wake up to feed Naina and it was almost 7 hours since she'd last eaten. I couldn't get up though. My arm that was holding our baby was numb and I felt some significant weight on me. It felt like I was being held down, and the guilt of not being responsible enough with my baby bothered me. Naina was sleeping on my shoulder, peacefully without moving a muscle and Nandini was sprawled on my lap comfortably. For a moment, I felt like a father to both of them and a bubbly feeling of love began to fizz from my insides.

To distract myself, I decided to tend to Naina's hunger. I carefully slipped Nandini's head onto a cushion on the couch. Cradling Naina in my arms, I made my way to her baby stroller and laid her securely there. It was a handy device I used around the house to keep her under my supervision, while I was busy with something else. I left water to boil in a kettle and walked down the dingy hallway, to my bedroom.

I brought her a new diaper from my room, and changed her carefully, but not before giving her a baby wipe-bath. My eyes shimmered as she squirmed in her sleep and gave in to my nagging 'daddy' habits. She was the most beautiful baby on the planet. Though she was a handful at times, she was filled with immense love and happiness, something I couldn't dream of replacing. As I stuck the diaper tabs in place, I combed her baby hair with my fingers and placed a warm kiss on her forehead.

Then, I headed to prepare her formula and fed her, while she sat in my arms quietly still asleep, sipping on her milk. Both Nandini and I always held onto our baby every time we fed her, and maybe that was another reason why she loved food so much. It was those times of the day she knew she'd be given the most attention, and she wouldn't miss it for the world. While she drank, I tried to clean the house on a minimalistic level by kicking unnecessary things out of the way. I had a helper come home twice a week to help with chores, but the house wasn't tidy enough and with a baby around, the house was bound to be always messy.

The fiddling around unfortunately woke Nandini up. I crouched in reflex instantaneously and gathered a few of Naina's baby clothes that were on the ground. She flicked the switch above the couch and a dim light glowed, seeming exceptionally bright in the accustomed darkness.

"Manik, kya kar rahe ho?" She approached me, rubbing her eyes. Good going with the noise, soon Naina will wake up and cry if you go on like this! It seemed like she had a peaceful nap until I woke her up.

"Kuch nahi, you go sleep."

"Nahi tumhare bina nee..." Her eyes widened at me as those words almost slipped off her tongue. I was curious to know what she intended to say, because I couldn't really catch onto anything she said in that sleepy tone. "Main madad karti hoon." She uttered, and pulled the baby shirts from my hand, to divert me and maybe herself too.