Chapter 1

Please feel free to comment/vote below.

Thank you! 

[Be Advised: This chapter has not be edited.]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The earsplitting sounds of police siren and ambulance become more prominent as Detective McGregory arrived at the Nightgale General Hospital. It was four in the morning when he received a phone from Sgt. Weller about a random shooting at the hospital. Reporters hovered outside the hospital with their cameramen. A police barricade kept them from interfering with witnesses that were near the scene and being questioned by officers.

It took the young detective a minute before he could enter the hospital. His complete hatred of hospital, made the matters of going into one much more unsettling. A wave of nausea consumed him as finally entered and was passed the main desk. The hairs at the back of his neck rose as goosebumps covered his arms.

Letting out a groin of anger, Detective McGregory made swift movements towards the crime scene in which, to his great displeasure was on the fifth floor of the hospital.

Once he at the crime scene, a slight sigh of relief escaped him. Flashing his badge passed two-uniformed officers and the yellow tapes, Detective McGregory was warmly greeted by the Stg. Weller.

“God damn it, McGregory.  What took you so long? We have a media frenzy downstairs and I needed you on top of this thirty minutes ago.”

“Sorry Sir.”

Stg. Weller shook his grey covered head in disapproval.

“Just get it done, I want a rundown report before lunch today,” He said taking off his police department cap before he walked towards the elevators, a displeased look on his face.

Putting on the usual protective gear to covers both the hands and feet before taking out his small notebook and pen. He glanced down the short florescent-lit hallway.  The walls were painted an egg-yoked yellow color while the reflective tile floors were white with a grey solid line. There were small pools of blood where one victim was shot. It appeared as though the victim was shot below the waist due to the one-legged drag marks. There was partial bloody handprint and by the size of the print likely a female’s.

Detective McGregory continued walking cautiously as took notes and moved to the next two scenes, which were closer to where the dead body was.  He ignored the pounding headache and the churning of his stomach, wanting to maintain his focus on the case.

“Well, look who finally decided to join us, Meredith.” Detective Siri said as he looked at an ill looking McGregory before glancing at Meredith, the coroner, who was busy reviewing the dead victim.

“Are you alright, Will?” Eddy spoke as he lowered his camera to look at Detective McGregory.

“Oh, he is fine.  Aren’t you, Will?” Detective Siri said dismissing Eddy as he gave a small grin to McGregory.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Detective McGregory replied.

“You see, Eddy.  Will, just gets a little queasy when it comes to hospitals. ” 

Detective McGregory ignored his partner.

“How many were injured?”

“Three injured, one of them is in intensive care.”

“Who’s our vic?” Detective McGregory asked as he walked around the office. It was very fancy looking office for a hospital.

“Dr. Quentin Gavial. He was on the board of directors and chief of surgery at the hospital.” Detective Siri answered as he stood up from his crunched-up position.

“The victim was shot in the hand, abdomen and twice in the chest. By the amount of bloodstains in the carpet, he died pretty fast. I would estimate his time of death to be two hours ago, so around one thirty a.m.“ Meredith said looking at the detectives.

“Someone obviously wanted this doctor dead. This couldn’t have been a random shooting. “ 

“Agreed,” Detective McGregory said with a nod as he moved toward the desk of the victim. Behind the desk was a shattered window, which could have been the killer’s point of entry. As William moved near the corner of the desk, he could feel a mixture of anger and resentment in the room.

“We’ll know more once we finish the autopsy.” Meredith added as she and her assistances began carefully removing the body from the room.

“So what kind of feelings are you getting in here?” Siri finally asked once everybody except for the two of them where left in the room.

“A lot of anger and resentment towards the victim. How many shots were fired?”

“There were reportedly five to seven shots heard. We are still trying to retrieve the bullets from injured to make a full count. What are you doing?”

 “The killer was standing right here.” Detective McGregory said as his eyes were closed and his arm was extended outwards with his gun in his hand.

  “Will, put the gun down.” Detective Siri said with a concerned look upon his face.

  It took a second before the detective realized he had his gun pointed at his own partner. “Sorry, Gabe.” He said as he put his gun back in its holster.

“That is what I get for making fun of you earlier.” Detective Siri mumbled before he came to a realization.

“Wait a minute. The victim was shot in the front. If the killer broke through window and then moved to the position you are in, the victim would’ve had enough time to react and would’ve been shot from the back. So why would the killer risk that if the victim was their target?” 

“The killer could have told the victim to turn around and face them.” Detective McGregory responded as he moved toward the window to examine it.

“That still doesn’t make sense because the sound of the breaking glass would’ve been loud enough for someone to hear and interrupt. And no one was in this room but the victim and whoever killed him.”

“You’re right. Come and look at the glass from the window. Look at the direction it’s broken from.” Detective McGregory said as he used a tweezers to pick up a large fragment of glass from the bottom of the window.

Using a magnifying glass, the two detectives examined the glass fragment. The breaking direction of the glass was towards opposite side of the building indicating that the killer broke the window from inside the room.

“Son of bitch. He was covering his tracks and I bet the others that were shot were also just ways of covering his tracks.” Detective Siri said he looked around the room as if to picturing the whole scenario. 

Detective McGregory nodded, he was getting a really bad feeling about this case.