Tofu Musubi

A vegan twist on a classic spam musubi. Instead of using spam we'll be using pan fried tofu. Let's get started with our ingredients first!

Ingredients:

1 lb block of tofu

1 pack of nori sheets

3 cups uncooked sticky white rice

1/4 cup of sugar

1/4 cup of Mirin(sweet cooking sake)

1/4 cup of soy sauce

Directions:

1) Put uncooked rice into a large pot and fill the pot with water two centimeters above the rice. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for fifteen minutes with a lid. Once finished, fluff up the rice with a fork and transfer the rice into a large bowl to cool a little.

2) Cut tofu into 3 pieces on it's side and cut out 4 by 2 1/2 inch rectangular pieces. Just a heads up there will be scraps and not all the tofu with be turn out to be rectangles. Grease a large frying pan with Canola oil and put at a medium high heat on the stove. Cook for five minutes on each side or until your tofu gets as crispy as you'd like.

3) While the tofu is cooking add the sugar, Mirin, and soy sauce to a small saucepan on a stove at medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves in the mixture when reaches a low boil. Once the mixture is done pour into the tofu in the frying pan. Allow to sit in the sauce and take it to your work station.

4) Cut three nori sheets in half the long way. Place the about a quarter cup of rice onto the nori into a rectangle so the tofu can go there, but before you put the tofu drizzle a bit of the soy sauce mixture into the rice then put the tofu slice on the rice. Then put another quarter cup of rice on top of the tofu. Drizzle more of the sauce and you're almost done.

5) Now the tricky part, roll the musubi tightly by taking the nori flap and tightly folding over the rice and tofu and roll and serve. Make as many musubis as you can and eat up!

Final thoughts
I absolutely love these vegan musubis! The teriyaki sauce is divine and very flavorful with the tofu, rice, and nori. The nori gets softer and easier to eat thanks to the hot rice and crisping up the tofu mimics the texture of spam!

Try them for yourself! They're a definite 10 out of 10, I'd eat them more often but I got to watch my sugar intake.

Sorry for posting this so hastily, I didn't even realize it wasn't finished, but please try the recipe, I'll be posting again!