Chapter 3

Months had passed and the seasons had changed, but the war had not ended. My brother told me about the Soviet underground nuclear test that happened in January. He told me about the friends he had made and some of the things he found out about them. Also, he wrote to me about how bad the war was and how much he missed mother and I. From what Quinton had told me, war was like being in Hell. All he saw was death and blood. Quinton didn't see the war ever coming to an end, but I was still hopeful that it would end that year.

Throughout those months, my mother became more ill. The medicine no longer worked. I wished Quinton was there to help me but he wasn't. I could only hope and pray for everything to get better. My mother and I were living off the money my father had left behind, and the money that my brother sent us.

I sat down at the kitchen table and wrote another letter. It had been a while since I had sent one. I told Quinton about our mother and how ill she was. I also told about how much I missed him. I sealed the letter and walked to the post office where I was greeted by Sarah Hanson. She took the letter and examined the writing on the front.

"I have something for you," she stated as she stood. She turned to retrieve an envelope from a box behind her. She gave it to me and I opened it to reveal a paper I never wanted to see. My heart felt as if it had stopped beating and I became lightheaded. I put the letter back in the envelope, not wanting to ever see it again.

"May I have the letter to my brother back?" I asked. She gave it back to me and I threw it away and walked out. There wasn't going to be anymore exchanging letters. I traveled back home and entered my mother's room. I gave her the letter I had received. All she did was cry and say that she wanted to be alone. I went to my room, sat on my bed, and stared at what used to be my brother's side of the room. Our time together flooded my memories. It was all over. I wouldn't be making anymore memories with him.