Prologue

The fifth grade boy sobbed, covering his head with his arms, sitting at his desk. He was tired of his abusive father and brother. His father, Sebastian, signed him up for the talent show at school. He begged and begged not to be in it, but his father signed him up anyways.

     Murdoc lifted his head up and rubbed his nose on his sleeve. He sniffed. Throwing off his pinocchio costume, he collapsed into his bed, ready for the next day.

     The future bassist woke up to his brother attempting to stick a pencil up his slightly broken nose. Murdoc jumped back quickly, suddenly awake. His brother, Hannibal simply laughed and went to his room. He didn't even say a word. The young boy scoffed. "Typical." He mumbled to himself.

     Murdoc got dressed and began to walk to school. He wore his ash gray sweater, with blue baggy jeans that covered most of his brown cuban heel boots. Under his sweater was an upside down cross necklace his brother gave him. Last year, his school had gotten rid of uniforms. He was more than happy to burn his over the summer.

     After a few hours in class, he gasped. He remembered the talent show was right after school. Yes, he did have stage fright, and no, his dad did not care. His father would earn money from Murdoc's performances, spend it all on booze and women, then make Murdoc perform again. It was a full on circle that Murdoc could not get out of, no matter how hard he tried. He dropped his head, slamming it on his desk.

     "Murdoc! Pay attention!" The teacher snapped at him, causing him to jump back up. He sighed and waited for school to end, so he could get ready for the talent show he so despised.

     Recess couldn't come sooner. The kids all ran out the doors, excited to play on the playground. Kids pushed each other and trampled one another. Behind the crowd was Murdoc.

     He walked to the side of the school and leaned against the wall. After checking no one was in his sight, he pulled out a cigarette. He skillfully flipped the fag into his mouth. He pulled out his lighter. Red painted, rusted, with a skull sticker on it. He lit the cigarette and inhaled slowly.

     Despite how much he despised his brother, Hannibal was there for him. Though he was a shitty brother, at least he was a brother. Hanninal had given him the old lighter, and introduced Murdoc to many punk bands. Murdoc wouldn't be Murdoc without Hannibal.

     Oh how badly Murdoc wanted to start his own band. He knew he had the talent. He just need other people who shared his talent. Except...No one liked the boy.

     The bell rang, making Murdoc look up, his thoughts clearing. He stood up, flicked the fag to the ground, and walked inside the school.