Chapter Eight

I hear Jesse and Ryan talk, I can't make out what they're saying, but then I hear the bedroom door close and I hope Jesse got rid of Ryan. 

Wishful thinking.

There's a soft knock on the door and I stand to grab a washcloth. I wipe my nose with it, grab a bar of soap, and start washing my face. 

There's another knock again, I scrub my face until there's no more makeup and wipe my face with the washcloth.

"Cassandra." Ryan's soft voice rings in my ears as my heart pounds against my chest.

I open the door with shaky hands and find him standing with his hands in his pockets, his jacket long gone. His baby pink shirt is rolled up on the sleeves and his hair is a mess. 

He looks up from where he was looking down when I open the door and his green emeralds meet my blue ones as I know are bloodshot red already from crying, I take a shaky breath.

"Baby." He whispers sympathetically and I raise my chin as I walk past him.

I sit on my bed and grab a chocolate bar, not opening it, but I look down at t instead of the green pools that are burning holes through me.

"You know, I thought you were perfect for me." 

I give him a humorless laugh as a tear rolls down my cheek. 

"I thought you actually had feelings for me, that is until you left with that woman and left me standing there on my own and come back to me with lipstick smudged on your jaw and that woman come out of the hall looking very well satisfied!" 

I glare at Ryan who runs a hand through his hair and looks around the room before he shakes his head and comes to kneel beside my feet, he takes my hand with both of his and starts playing my fingers as my heart feels like it's going to burst through my chest, I didn't expect him to kneel.

"I'm sorry for leaving you there, and I'm going to be honest she did try to throw herself at me and that's not the reason why I went with her, but I ended it, I left her there and got stopped by some business associates, that's when I saw you dancing with Ben Cash. I'm sorry I made you feel this way. I promised myself I was going to make you the happiest woman alive and I haven't accomplished." 

He frowns and shakes his head.

He looks up at me and his eyes are sad, he's really telling the truth and instead of confronting him earlier I fled and made us both hurt inside.

"I'm so sorry, Cassi." He shakes his head again while frowning and I do the only thing I've been wanting to do.

I place my hand on his cheek and he closes his eyes leaning into my touch. I smile and realize how much of an idiot I didn't realize his affection towards me. 

I lean down and peck his lips, he stiffens as I pull away. When I look into his eyes, they're wide and weary.

"You do make me happy, Ry." 

I give him a small smile and he takes a deep breath. This is his nervous side, I've seen it numerous times already and I don't like it. 

"But I will not stand by and let you walk away from me to go with another woman again." I glare at him and he looks down, placing his forehead on my knees.

"I'm so sorry, Cassandra. I didn't do anything, but I know how it looks and I'm sorry. Just please, let me try again. Give me another chance." His forehead is still on my knees, I stand up from my sitting position, his green emeralds look up at me sad. I kneel in front of him and hold his face in my hands as he closes his eyes.