Chapter 2

Chapter 2

When I woke up it was daytime, and for some strange reason it was harder to see than before. My vision was blurry and my throat was sore from the potion that Israphel had made me drink.
I began to pick myself up, and suddenly a deer ran through the brush, the loud sound of barking following it. My instinct told me to run as I heard the dogs start to veer towards the slower prey: me.

I watched the forest start to become clear once more, but stumps of trees kept getting in my way as I ran towards the darker part of the forest that I could see. Out of the blinding sunlight and into the shade I ran.

The barking became louder, and as the dogs began to catch up with me I hurtled towards the tallest tree I saw, a large birch with a massive trunk. Into the branches I swung, and soon I was hidden from preying eyes. The dogs sniffed round the tree I was in, then went after a scurry in the bushes. I was safe, but it was only for now.

I climbed down without much difficulty once I heard the dogs and the people who owned them move away after some other prey. I heaved a sigh of relief that I was not discovered, and headed for the darker part of the forest.  After a thought, I veered slightly off-course to the part of the forest that had been cut down. My stomach started to rumble, and I walked a bit faster. I wanted to see if I could find someone with food to spare.

 As I neared the clearing up ahead I saw someone with their back to me humming a song. It sounded like she, for it was a woman, was humming the tune of the music disc 'Cat.' I went closer, and she half turned to place some wood into a pack. 

She saw me.

Her eyes opened wide and she started to back away. I frowned, wondering what was wrong, then she turned and started running through the forest, trying to get away from me. I followed her to see where she was heading, but stopped to grab two pork chops from her pack before I left the clearing. I then hurried after her; I was wondering what was wrong, really confused.