Chapter 3

Chapter 3 | Play

"I didn't ask for you to find me."

With determined grit and fierce resolve, I mustered all my strength and broke free from his intoxicating hold. Eros remained silent, which made the atmosphere awkward. I desperately wanted to go home but knew he wouldn't let me get away so easily. His gaze was fixed on me as if he could read my mind.

"Nasa loob pa si Mia. Hindi pa nakaandar ang sasakyan namin. You better watch—"

He dared to roll his eyes on me. "Hindi naman si Mia ang girlfriend ko."

"Well, it's your job to look after Mia—"

"Mia's other guards are around her—"

"And I'm not your girlfriend," I said, ignoring him.

"Sure, we are not officially together, but everyone is convinced we are. Why can't you cooperate well? Is your competence in deceiving people fading?"

I frowned. "Look, I have own shits to handle. Hindi sa lahat ng oras, susunod ako sa 'yo—"

"You never did those. Ako lagi ang gumagawa niyan para sa relasyong ito."

Ano bang pinaglalaban niya? Anong pinaparating ng gagong 'to?

I chuckled. "Then, don't do it?"

Muli akong inirapan ni Eros na para bang nakakapagod akong kausap. I mean, I get it. I know for a fact that I am hard to handle. Even for my past flings, those relationships ended because these men who claimed to like me grew tired of my attitude. Sometimes, I do it on purpose. Sometimes, I do it to test someone. None of them ever satisfied me, including Eros.

"Kung hindi kita susuyuin, ano na lang ang iisipin nila?"

Walang pagtutunguhan ang usapang ito.

"Okay. You're right," I said, ending our conversation.

Feeling frustrated and ready to give up, I was about to leave him when his hand grabbed my arm. I turned back to look at him in surprise, unsure what he would say or do next. His touch felt firm yet gentle, almost as if he was pleading with me without saying a word. And for a moment, I hesitated.

"What is it this time? I'm exhausted and hungry—"

"Then, go out with me. Pinagod mo rin akong hanapin ka ngayong araw," reklamo niya.

"May gagawin pa ako—"

"Ako rin—"

"E 'di gawin mo na—"

"At iyon ang pasayahin ang girlfriend ko."

I could feel my fists clenching, ready to throw a punch and shut down his smug expression once and for all. Before my intrusive thoughts could win over my rationality, I stepped back and realized that giving in to my anger wouldn't solve anything. My eyes took a little twirl of annoyance, and what do you know? It was like comedy gold to him. Seriously, was getting under my skin his new favorite hobby?

"Gusto mong pasayahin ang girlfriend mo sa ganitong lagay, huh? As if she could ever be happy."

Eros' way of being could catch me off-guard. One moment, he's all warmth, drawing you in closer than you thought possible. Then, he's distant in a blink—a mystery you can't entirely solve. It's hard to tell if his friends notice these changes, these swings between too close and too far.

He's never been one to stir trouble, not at school. Everyone likes him; he's got that charm, that easy-going vibe that makes you want to be around him. However, it's that very ease, that almost too-good-to-be-true vibe, that makes me doubt him. It's like there's a depth to Eros that's both inviting and cautionary all at once.