Dynamic Duo

"Hey," Blake walked out onto her front porch, holding out a beer for him. Smiling, he took it. The two stood side by side, looking out at the beautiful scenery that was Wyoming. They sported their injuries from the night before with only mild complaining. "I have to say, it was nice to be able to put Reynolds behind bars. I find the truth somewhat refreshing."

"Why do you think I became a journalist," he peeled the beer label. "There is."

Blake glanced up at him as he stared out at the meadow.

"But?"

"But at times you run and you run but you can't find anything," Rowan admitted. "You go after a person, a story and you don't get anywhere. There's been plenty of stories where I have all these convincing leads and just like that, gone."

"Why?"

"Well, depends on the story," Rowan admitted. "A lot of them I have had to do with government officials."

"You're saying conspiracies?"

"I'm afraid so," Rowan looked over at her. "This was the first story in a very long time where I actually catch the one at fault. I have to admit Blake, I'm going to miss this as well as you."

Blake smiled faintly before reaching out to grab his hand. He gripped it tightly as the two of them smiled. As he did, he noticed Nolan gazing at Blake longingly before stepping away from the window. He turned back to Blake, smiling at her.

"I'm going to miss you too," Blake whispered as she was about to hug him when the door swung open. The two of them glanced back at the men walking out of the house, loudly talking. Blake looked up at Rowan with a giggle saying, "Come on."

"I'd love to say," Rowan smirked. "This is really great beer."

"I would say do myself," Kent laughed, eyeing Blake who was sitting somewhat impatiently by Rowan. Nolan and Ian were grinning like fools, just seeing how miserable the poor redhead was. "Where did you say you get it?"

"I think it's local," Rylan questioned.

"Montana," Nolan nodded, looking out into the country as he sat down next to Blake. Smirking at her, he lowered his chin. It was a peaceful evening. They had eaten dinner and now they were just enjoying some quality time together. Since they missed their flight, they scheduled it at least another day later.

Secretly, Blake didn't want them to leave but she kept that to herself. Ian, of course, picked that up but didn't say a word. In her own weird, strange way she enjoyed Rowan's company.

"So, how's your water," Rowan turned his head. Not being able to contain his laughter, Rowan was the first to just burst out laughing. Duke whined softly when they all just joined him.

"Okay! That's it," she got up, ready to march right back into the house. "I get it. Hardy-har-har. You get you enjoy your nice cold beer and I can't drink anything until a month."

"It wasn't our fault ye broke your arm," Kent breathed. "Ah, how Lisa would love it here."

"Look here you old man," Blake pointed. Kent began to laugh which made Blake smile instead, forcing herself to sit down. "Okay, okay. Respect my water, be happy I'm not mixing my pills with alcohol, alright? It's the least I could do."

"At least you didn't cry like last time," Ian agreed.

"You cried," Rylan exclaimed.

"It was a single tear. In private too," Blake defended herself. Nolan rested one hand on the armrest, turning his body to face hers.

"Private? I've never seen you make such a fuss in my life," Nolan exclaimed. Blake's jaw dropped as Ian began explaining how Blake would complain on the weekends how she couldn't have at least one drink because of her painkillers. She'd pout for days and sit in protest but that was about it.

"I can not believe you did that," Rowan laughed, wiping the tears from the corner of his eyes. Duke wagged his tail.

"Oh shut up kid," Kent leaned his head back. "Last time I recall, you were- he needed to finish his story to turn it into the editor. I promise you he had it all figured out and to be honest, we never have much lager in our home but he had decided to come over to write it. Opens the fridge, nothing. What does he do?"

"He sits down at the desk, gets one sentence down and his pen runs out of ink," Rylan pointed. "He stands up saying that in life, men need essential things. Pens and a nice drink. So he is about to get up to leave when Kent tells him, 'Oh shut up and stop procrastinating.' Turned out Kent overheard the editor telling Rowan that he had one day to turn in that story."

"You kidding me," Blake covered her mouth, throwing her head back in laughter.

"Okay, that's enough of that," Rowan rolled his eyes.

Blake sadly grinned at Rowan who had already said his farewells to the boys. Blake said hers to Kent and Rylan, seeing the men grab their suitcases.

"Well," Rowan huffed. "I guess this is it."

"I guess so," she nodded. "It was a pleasure working with you. Never had someone be on the same page as me for a very, very long time."

Rylan smiled warmly, looking at both of them.

"I'd have to say the same," Rowan grabbed Blake's extended hand. He shook it as both locked gazes with a smile on their face. "Nice to meet you, Blake Barnes."

"Stay out of trouble Rowan Brantley."

"Can't promise you anything," Rowan winked as he grabbed his suitcase. Ian and Nolan waved, seeing the three wave back before heading off into the security check area. Blake heard Duke whine at her, with his big brown eyes staring deeply into hers.

"No. I'm telling you no this time," Blake shook her head. Duke whined once more. "Oh, I hate you for this."

Rowan was grabbing his tickets when he heard Blake call out his name. Turning, he saw her run up, embracing him tightly with her one good arm. Taken by surprise, Rowan stared at both men but quickly returned her warm hug.

"Hopefully you guys can come around for the racing," Blake smiled as she pulled back, letting go of Rowan. Her sudden kindness made her hug Kent and Rylan as well. She smiled as she and themselves said one final goodbye. "We'll keep in touch! I promise!"

"Promises are cheap Barnes," Rowan called out. Duke sat down when Blake stopped walking. With a smirk on her lips, Blake raised her chin to get one last look at that English boy.

"Barnes' promise."