A Natural Paternal Instinct

Jack tossed and turned in his bed, unable to sleep. His mind raced, something seemed to be bothering him.

Angela said that the child was on a respirator just as a precaution because of the smoke inhalation.

...Yet it still left him very concerned.

Angela said not to worry, but how could he not?! That little girl was all alone in the ICU section of the medic bay, hooked up to a lot of machines.

He promised himself that he wouldn't let this situation get to him, but all he could see were those beautiful eyes that had locked with his.

"Oh who am I kidding?" Jack mumbled. He got out of bed and put his slippers on. His sleepwear was presentable enough to be seen in public, so he didn't even think to change.

He trudged groggily out of his suite. At this time of night none of the lights were on, so he had to manually turn them on.

A few minutes later he reached the medical bay, not taking much notice to the on duty nurses and doctors. He knew where he was going.

He walked into the child's room, and his torpor immediately faded when he saw her face.

"Hey," Jack's voice was very high when he talked to the child. He didn't even care that she could not hear him. "How are you sweetie?" He walked over, his slippers squeaking on the floor. Jack pulled over a chair to sit beside the bed.

He spent countless hours talking to her, and seemed to not care that he got no response.

"When you ever need anything, I'll be here! I will always be here to protect you." He softly smiled at her, feeling an emotional attachment to the child.

* * *

Angela did her morning check-ins with her patients as usual. She gave breakfast to every patient, making sure they got the required morning pills they needed.

While she made her way to the ICU, she talked with another medic.

"Johnny needs two of those booster shakes everyday. He isn't getting enough calories in. Alright? Add it to the notes so no one forgets!" Her heels clicked on the tiles as she walked.

As she opened the door to the unnamed child's room, she noticed someone else in there.

"Jack?" She walked over to him.

The man had fallen asleep in on a chair he put next to bed.

"Huh?" Jack jolted up.

"Good morning, sleepy head." Angela giggled. "I see you couldn't stay away from the child."

Jack's face turned red from embarrassment.

"Oh don't be embarrassed, Jack!" Angela sighed. "You just have natural paternal instinct."

Jack blinked for a moment, letting that comment sink in.

A natural paternal instinct? He had never thought of himself as a parent before. Jack looked at the child as he rose. She had been on his mind since he saw her.

He wanted to protect her no matter what.

Oh who was he kidding? He wanted to be her father!