Lessons In Villainy

There was something to be said about the way a house felt. The smells of vanilla and lavender attempting to swallow the musky smell of death the settle in the corners of the room. It was still invading her nose with every inhale. The longer Nightshade stayed, the more she could feel the evil that lurked in the edges of the room. Something she was trying very hard to ignore. The single story house that was long and winding, with hallways that liked to breathe and floors that creaked with old wood. Every hall lead to the same place--the main chamber, with the black wood table and the glass ball.

The past handful of days had been about learning. Studying. Reading. Know your enemy. The mantra was chanted into her head and soon it became comfortable to know about another person's business. Nightshade lurked and watched from the shadows enough. She didn't dare to go back outside, but Belle had more resources that she ever dreamed of. The first day, Nightshade had never felt more stupid. The books Belle had, the screens she put up for the national news and the local newspaper gave the Nightshade more information about her surrounding world. This she thought she understood for one thing to be completely wrong. It was amazing how much information she could accumulate here within a windowless world, versus how she had been living on the street of Tsunami Bay and still didn't know half of what she did now.

"The ground force of police officers in Tsunami Bay had rounded up five cells of the Flames ever since the Nightshade had killed their leader. They were equally grateful and fearful of what that might mean for the sudden spikes in crime. The two hundred dollar bounty on the Nightshade's head had risen by another two thousand, and rumors over its disappearance have remained unproven. Experts say that it will more than likely lay low until after the floods have past..."

Bounties are what a heroes' economy is based off of and what a villain's reputation is controlled by. Nightshade could hear Belle's voice in her head, trying to ignore how the caster said she was an "it". The higher the bounty, the more important you are. The more you'll be hunted. Where did all the money come from? Nightshade would wonder.

"Victor the Great is announcing his return to the skies at the Heroes' Banquet in a two weeks after overcoming is swift recovery from the unfair attack on his life from the Nightshade, who has been recently active since then. There's said to be a large celebration and a handful of secondary heroes are going to be on standby abroad the city..."

Secondary heroes are the ones in training or the supers who decided they wanted to help save the world too. Belle called it a futile task. They'd start here, going to that college for the specially gifted or whatever, and go out into assigned nations or areas. Normally one per county, depending on the weight of the criminal activity. Heroes, contrary to popular belief, die all the time. The ones to worry about are the ones who stay alive long enough to make a name for themselves.

"The rains have not yet begun their fall, and the city waits with bated breath as meteorologists are debating on what the late rains means for the Bay. Businesses are attempting to stay open as long as possible, although supplies are currently limited. Citizens are encouraged to stay cautious and drive only when necessary. The Heroes' Banquet will not be postponed. Stay tuned for updates..."

No one had to tell Nightshade about the rains. She had experienced them often. It's how she knew what year it was since she had been on her own. She remembered eleven rains in her lifetime, alone and struggling to stay dry. Belle's sanctuary was a luxury for her twelfth year.

A luxury she didn't always enjoy. Belle normally didn't make sandwiches, and refused to listen to any complaints of such. Something about lean meat and fresher foods. A healthy body is a healthy mind. Warm stews, cold vegetables, diced fruits and sliced breads. Nightshade offered to help at one point, figuring she might as well learn, but the older woman was quick to tell her that the kitchen was the one place she wasn't allowed to operate in.