Time Away

There are times where Nightshade is grateful to be under a roof. Warm feet and a content layer of scales that didn't shiver underneath the frigid air and brittle up. A bed to sleep in. Food on a daily basis. What more could one ask for? Then there were times like today, where Belle droned on about history and tactics and purpose and phenomenon and Nightshade felt cooped up in the place. She wished she had wing so she could fly. She wished she could go far, far away from everyone and be free and alone and without the sudden pressures laid on her shoulders to be more. She had never wanted the responsibility of a burden such as this one, but the more she stay, the more she knew she didn't have a choice.

Every day, Belle pushed her to her limits of patience for this entire endeavor. Keeping her in a prison of comfort, all while stuffing her head with villain propaganda that she appreciated, but really wanted a break from. Of course, they had gotten into an argument about wasted potential. Of course, Nightshade crossed her arms stubbornly withholding herself from Belle's expectations. Closing up as soon as she was prodded. Belle simply called her a child and started working in the kitchen.

"I'm going outside." Nightshade suddenly said, standing up from the center table.

Belle looked down at her, standing in the kitchen with books floating around her in its familiar red glow. A beat passed between them as the older woman's face twitched. Her eyes narrowed as she slowly pursed her lips. "Are you?"

Nightshade nodded, pushing the chair in and clearing her throat trying to swallow the anger. "Yup. I want a sandwich."

"I can make you one."

"You can, but you won't."

"Don't challenge me, child." Belle pointed a finger at her, but Nightshade had long since lost her fear of Belle's threats. Boredom quickly consumed fear.

"Will you?" Nightshade didn't miss a beat.

After a pause she went back to looking at her books. "You do understand that you have taken yourself from the world of common mortals to be greater than you were? Such lowly meals will do nothing for you."

It would make me happy. Nightshade grimaced. "I mean. That's what you say. But it doesn't mean I can't still go get a sandwich. Don't you have something you like that 'mere mortals' have?" She tilted her head as Belle went silent.

She thought she'd test how far she could go with this. She knew her lavish prison wasn't going to provide for her forever, but she was prepared to do what it take to maintain a sliver of freedom, illusion or not.

"Fine." Belle finally said. "I expect you back before the night's end. Do not make a scene. It is not your time yet."

It's nighttime. The young villain smiled to herself, before running out without another word. She thrust open the doors as soon as she heard Belle yell, "Quietly!" At her.

It was raining again when she opened the door. She breathed the air of petrichor and let herself smile for a moment, her scales rippling across her face like a drop of water in a pool. The young villain was free. She was going to do as she pleased.

*

Lenny's shop was closed, and Nightshade crossed her arms as she stood in her familiar place across the street. People were no longer out and about the streets, but rather stayed in for as long as they could.

The building looked warm, welcoming, but she could see the weary look on Lenny's face as he served customers. His red hair seemed dirtier from this distance. She sighed as she remembered how she didn't leave off on the best of terms. But she was hungry. She took what she wanted. There was nothing wrong with trying to survive.