I am Northbynorth

Dedicated to northbynorth, obviously. I enjoyed reading your novel, and thanks for inspiring me to write this one-shot!

Feel free to leave me a comment below, and vote! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 5, 2014

I peered nervously at the answers on the back pages of my Princeton Review: Cracking the MCAT as I checked my practice test. MCAT, or "Medical College Admission Test," was in two days, and I spent most of my time for the past month locked up in my apartment when I wasn't taking classes. My goal was to pass the exam with flying colours, so I can get into the medical school at my university and become a neurosurgeon.

I've recently started my third year at Michigan University or "University of Michigan" according to every rude American bastard who rolls their eyes at me when I say it differently. And by that, I mean Elliot Fintry, my boyfriend and roommate. The university campus here is excellent with its variety of food, but my only problem with this country is that it doesn't have a freaking Nando's within a 200 mile radius.

Mac and Arthur, unfortunately, are still around in grad school, and every once in a while, they would force me to attend their God-awful frat parties. My brothers, being who they are, gained a lot of reputation with their recklessness and "flirtatious" behavior and currently the leaders of the Alpha-Beta-Kappa-Gamma or whatever the bloody hell it's called.

The pressure of the MCAT has been harder on me than anything I've ever endured. I refused to speak to anyone -- except the small exchange of greetings and insults with Elliot -- as well as replying to O'Connor's picture texts of a drunken Alex Kopov, or the rambling and repetitive messages from Tamara about how fucking great Theodore West was. Even though I haven't seen the egotistical twat ever since I left England, I still despised the arsehole.

Every night, I stayed up past 1 AM revising for the MCAT, with my work area surrounded by Physics, Chemistry, and Biology textbooks, and my walls tacked with handwritten revision notes and important homework pages. Leaning back into my green beanbag chair, my frustration grew bigger as the amount of red from my grading pen increased. I could feel my curly mane of hair getting frizzier by each wrong answer. I glanced at my clock to see that it was well past into midnight and realised that I only had 48 more hours to revise for the exam.

I hastily grabbed my biology textbook stacked beneath the four other textbooks I've already skimmed and highlighted and reread the parts I didn't do too well on the practice test. 'Antidiuretic Hormone (ADH) is produced in the hypothalamus and stored and released in the pituitary gland. The biggest function of the hormone is controlling the water levels of the body --'

The door slammed open, and I could hear the howls of laughter from the person who walked in. I threw my pen across the floor and scowled as I made my way to scream at Elliot, but was shocked to find him sprawled on the floor unable to contain his amusement. His raven coloured hair was disheveled, and he no longer contained the cold look I remembered when I first met him.

"Fintry," I glowered, "How many bloody times do I have to tell you? I'm revising for one of the most important exams in my life, and you're supposed to revise for your philosophy midterm as well. Where the hell have you been? It's almost one o'clock in the morning, you idiotic buffoon." When he first told me he wanted to major in philosophy -- and eventually a philosophy professor -- I laughed so hard I almost cracked a rib.

I could feel my blood pressure rise when he ignored me and continued to laugh loudly on the carpeted floor. "Fine," I growled, "I hope you choke on your own spit and die." I angrily made my way back to my room in complete annoyance.