Chapter 17

You're full of surprises; unpredictable, like how I'd want you to be

*LUKE'S POV*

The crowd cheered, and when I looked back, Calum was looking straight at me

He smiled shyly, and raised a thumb, as if asking if he had done well.

Before I could signal back, his face fell and his smile faded and he looked back down at the guitar, giving a celebratory strum, hyping up the crowd once more.

"Are you cold Luke?" I heard Lexi's voice closing in as she wrapped her arms around my waist from behind.

I turned and pulled away from her.

"Lexi..."

She flashed a smile and pulled at my wrist

"Come on Luke, let's join the others in the cabin." She said

"You go on, I wanna find Cal" I replied almost instantly

"I don't think he's gonna have time for you Luke. Just look at all the girls going gaga over him. Come on, let's go!" She pushed further and started pulling me away from the campfire

I looked back and watched in disgust as girls started hoarding around Calum while he looked absolutely lost, looking for someone.

Lexi's grip tightened and she quickened her steps to the point where sand was getting into my shoes. "Hold up Lexi." I said calmly and pulled away from her tight grip. She looked at me with pleading eyes

"Please Luke."

I shot her a confused look

"What the fuck do you want from me Lexi?!" I yelled without thinking. She jumped slightly and backed away with hurtful eyes, before turning to run towards the girls' cabins. I shut my eyes and let myself fall onto the sand, ripping off my beanie in frustration.

When my breathing stabled, I led myself back to the campfire site, where most of the campers had left, leaving a few sitting with their own group of friends, chatting. I scanned the site for Calum...nothing. Did he leave already?

"Hey bud"

I turned slowly and felt a smile form when I saw Calum standing in front of me, guitar strapped over his back. His fringe was slightly covering his eyes, hair ruffled and face glowing from the reflection of the campfire. He looked beautiful, stunning and adorable. My heart relaxed knowing he was here, not anyway else...just here.

I raised an eyebrow and smiled widely;

"Wanna hang out?"

10:30 pm

Unlike other nights, the area surrounding the lake was fully lit. We walked slowly, following the breeze. I didn't feel as cold as I did before. With him here, there was a great comfort, a soothing warmth.

"You did great tonight man. What made you sing?" I asked, subtly slipping my hand into his

"Than...Thanks bro. Well...umm...Mikey made me...um...do it" He stuttered as a shy grin emerged.

I bit my lips and eyed him sideways. His face was completely flushed, and his hand was frozen. I squeezed it tight before letting go. I wasn't too sure how Calum felt about me yet. He hasn't made any big moves or hinted that he likes me. For all I know, I might just be like a brother and best friend to him. He has always taken care of me, why am I starting to treat his affection as love?

"So buddy, you having girl problems?" He glanced at me and laughed before staring straight back at the ground.

"Saw...um...her walking away pretty mad." He continued when I didn't respond