Chapter 1

“Alexis. You better come down these stairs right now and make yourself look presentable.” My cruel headmistress growl/screamed at me. The tone of her voice sent shivers up my spine. Please lord; get me out of this adoption center.

I look in the mirror and sigh. My slightly wavy brown hair looked like a rat’s nest, my once vibrant green-blue eyes looked lifeless and sad, and I had a slight-but-noticeable bruise on my right cheekbone. I take the brush we all share out of the drawer, and run it through my hair, trying to tame it. Luckily, it wasn’t as bad as it looked, and I put the brush back in its normal place. Next, I had to do my makeup. I know, kids in an orphanage usually don’t have makeup, but the headmistress forces me to wear some to cover up all of the bruises and cuts I get from her. She doesn’t want me here, so she always tries to get me to look presentable, but I don’t get good clothes. All I have are a few pairs of underwear, a sports-bra, a t-shirt, a more fitted shirt, a pair of ratty sweatpants, and a dress. She got me the dress for when we have visitors because she wants me to be the first one gone. Everyone here is against me.

I cover up all of my bruises on my arms, face, and chest, but only the ones that are the most noticeable. The ones that were on my stomach and back were fine being uncovered because my clothes would hide them for the most part. Then I put on a little mascara to try and hide the scared and sad look in my eyes. Eh. I look alright for the most part.

I throw on my dress that I was wearing, and walk over to my little cot in the corner of the room. Under it, I have a box that has a lock, but I’m the only one that knows about it and has the key. What do I keep in it? Nothing that reminds me of my mom and family, that’s for sure. But earlier this month, a girl about my age, saw me in the window, and threw me a magazine that featured some band named One Direction. I don’t know much about them, except for a part of their song that goes, “baby you light up my world like nobody else,” but I only know that from hearing the headmistress belting it out on occasion. They seem like nice guys.

I pull out my magazine and see their smiling faces on the cover, and think, “Someday I will be able to put a smile on my face and not get punished. Some day.” But I soon hear footsteps, and quickly put the magazine back inside its box under my bed.

Before I know it, I’m throwing on my light blue dress that is obviously too small for me, and running down the stairs to get to my headmistress. She doesn’t seem happy.

“What took you so long idiot? You should have been down here five minutes ago?!?” she screamed right into my ear, making me cringe.

“I’m sorry ma’am. I was trying to find my-“she doesn’t even let me finish my sentence before she starts talking again.

“I don’t care. I don’t want to listen to you either. I hate you already; don’t make me hate you even more. If I could kick you out, I would in a heartbeat, but I can’t do that, so I’m stuck with you. But here’s what’s going on,” this is weird; she never tells me what is going on. “Five boys are coming in about 10 minutes. Be on your best behavior because I don’t want you here anymore. Hopefully they’ll take you. If I see you have a sad face, sigh, sniffle, cough, or do anything to make yourself look bad, you will be punished. Don’t blow it for us.”

I slowly nod my head, signaling that I agree to her “terms and conditions”. She gives me this every time someone comes in, but they never end up wanting me. She has all of the other girls dressed alright, but they still get to be in shorts. She tries to make me look good so I’ll be gone. Isn’t she just a lovely person?

I walk into the kitchen, and see a chocolate chip cookie lying on the counter. I turn around, and double check to make sure that nobody’s there, so I can eat it and not get verbally assaulted. Nobody’s near me. I take a bite out of the chewy cookie, and realize that it doesn’t taste as good as I thought it was going to be, so I put it back onto the counter. Right as I do that, headmistress calls me into the main room.

“They’re here.”

a/n heyy(: this is my first fanfic.... don't know how long this is going to be or if it is going to be good.... so comment and voteee(:

-annie