Joker x Deaf!Fem!Reader

A/N: a request :) hope i did it justice ?? also i'm sorry i was so lazy with this. dgdbkugb i'm sorry
WC: 974

Sometimes, life isn't easy. Especially when you know the team's upset you've been paired with them. What good is a deaf girl?

Your only special ability was being able to sense where every other human on the map was. You can't hear your own heartbeat, much less the hunter approaching. At least you can decode ciphers and dismantle rocket chairs.

You take a seat in the lobby. Of course you're a replacement. If Emma was here things would he different. She always stuck by your side, plus she could sign. But reading lips isn't that hard to do.

"Can't we get someone else? Maybe?" Emily asked Martha, who pursed her lips. "Y/N is the only other person who can dismantle rocket chairs. We're going to have to settle."

At that point, they turned away. You sighed, wishing the game was over before it had even started.

---

"Yikes," you whisper to yourself. You're by yourself in the carnival map, and everyone else is on the other side. Your hand instinctively goes to your wrist, thumb pressing just below your palm to feel your pulse. Slightly faster than usual, you think. So the hunter's on this side of the map. I need to be quiet.

You look around for something might help. The roller coaster! You realize. I'll just get on there and go if the hunter sees me...

You crouch behind a cipher, checking your pulse again. Slower. He's gone the other way.. good. Maybe I can finish this.

You stand up, quickly starting to work on the cipher. You close your eyes momentarily, focusing on your other senses to finish the cipher. When you're sure the cipher is done, you open your eyes. They widen and you fall to the ground.

Damn it!! You think. He's right there. The clown, too, of all hunters.. you shake your head. Smiley always found you, but he never kept you in a rocket chair for long. Was it pity? Probably.

You start to crawl towards the roller coaster, but he lifts you up, carrying you there instead. You look up at him, and he smiles -- of course -- back down at you. You can feel his body shaking with laughter. What the hell is going on?

You reach the platform and that's when he puts you down. You're still confused and don't try to move because he might do something. He pulls something out of his pocket - a flower? He hands it to you and pats you on the head before leaving you there, dumbfounded.

You sit there, occasionally seeing the other survivors pass by. Emily stops by every now and then, reminding you that you've got crows over your head and that maybe instead of "sitting there like a fool" you could at least be a distraction. Just as she opens her mouth to speak again, you notice a faint red glow in the distance. 

"Now look what you've done!" She says, but it's hard to read her lips because she's speaking quickly. She turns to leave, but Smiley is already there, and he hits her across the head. She gives you a death glare, and you're sure she's yelling at you as Smiley lifts her over his shoulder, but then again -- you can't exactly hear. You close your eyes, finally using your ability. There's only one person left?

It's hard to make out quite who it is. After all, she's kind of across the map. Great, you think. Well, actually - this could be a good thing. They won't invite you to the match next time! You start to hum, your fingers pressed against your throat to feel what it's like. You look around, and you can see Emily struggling in her chair. Screw her. 

You hear a faint ringing noise, and you realize Smiley's knocked down the last of your teammates. The crows swirl above your head, and disappear only momentarily whenever you swat at them. Your left foot starts to tingle, it's really bored waiting here and you're aching to run. You're just about to get up when you notice the faint glow again.  "Well aren't things going just my way?" You mutter, standing up anyway. 

It's Smiley again.. duh. This time, though - he's brought a few things with him. A speaker - a weird gift for a deaf person - a party hat, and a pie.

He turns the speaker on, and you assume the music is connected to the music that always plays at the carnival (Emma always talked about how she loved that music). He brings the speaker over to you, takes your hand and presses it against the speaker. Your eyes widen - you can feel the music. A smile spreads across your face. You see his own grow. Soon, the doubts of trusting a hunter leave your mind and you're eager to see what else there is. 

He grabs the pie next. He serves you a slice (it's blueberry, which happens to be your favorite) and lets you eat it before he pretends to drop the pie on himself. It's so stupid, but it makes you laugh anyway, your body shaking as you laugh. He quickly grabs the party hat, placing it delicately on your head. You smile.

In one swift motion, he swoops you into his arms, and you don't mind as you rest your head on his chest. Your eyes close, and you almost forget he's taking you somewhere before you're put down. You look around and immediately notice the open dungeon. 

'See you later.' He signs. He signs. Since when did he sign. You're filled with a new appreciation, and you run over and hug him tightly. He pats the side of your head - the hat was in the way - and sends you through the dungeon. You grin, your face flooding with warmth as you enter the lobby again.