II

Wednesday

When she wasn't at the studio, she was at her mother's place. Ava didn't feel like going out or seeing her friends. Her days mostly consisted of dance and getting stuff together for New York. She was leaving Saturday morning, which gave her three more days in California.

She didn't bother unpacking most of the boxes that she had from moving out of the apartment with Josh. Her room at her mother's house wasn't much of a room, just bed and a vanity. Ava spent most of her time choreographing new numbers for her students in Manhattan.

It had been about two weeks since her split from Josh. She hadn't reached out to him, but she still received calls from him every now and then. There were times when she wished that she had the strength to answer, but she knew it would only pull her back to him. She couldn't let herself do that. She had to close that chapter of her life.

He left her voicemails, often him just trying to make small talk or see how she was doing or see if she needed anything. It was honestly just an excuse for Josh to talk to her. He tried to appear happy on the outside, but on the inside he was dying.

Josh hadn't left the apartment in days. Ever since Ava left, he had become an introvert. He laid on the couch all day, thinking about how he could change what happened. I could move to Manhattan with her, he thought. No, I can't leave the boys behind.

His brothers often checked up on him, bringing him food, vitamins, or sometimes even just the company of another human. They tried taking his mind off of Ava by playing music or watching Josh's favorite movies. They were really concerned about his health and well-being.

"You know, Ava loved this movie," Josh said, crushing yet another piece of popcorn between his fingers. He flicked it at the TV, which was playing The Shining.

The brothers were taking turns on whose day it was to babysit their older brother. Today it was Jake. He brought Kubrick films with him, knowing that was Josh's favorite director. He had hoped to bring some light to him that day. That's what they always hoped for, but they could never seem bring it out of Josh.

Jake ignored his comment, knowing that if he made any remark he would only be egging it on. He wasn't there to listen to Josh whine or complain or cry. He was there to help Josh forget.

"We used to watch it all the time. She claimed she wasn't afraid of horror movies yet she never failed to cling onto my arm. I had to practically pry her hands off her face to make her watch it with me." Josh had been making side comments about Ava since Jake showed up. Jake hated hearing about him drone on about her, but he also knew that Josh had no one else to talk to about her. He let him ramble, knowing it'd be better for him to let it out then keep it bottled in.

"Yeah, she loved it though," Josh murmured to himself. "What do you think about this movie, Jake?"

Jake sighed. "I think you should shut up and watch it."

"I watched it three times yesterday. It reminds me of her." Josh scratched at the skin on his thumb. He'd seen Ava do it whenever she was nervous. He absentmindedly picked up her old habit.

"Then let's watch something else," Jake said, sitting up from the couch.

"I don't want to watch anything," Josh whined, pulling the blanket over his head. "I just want to sleep. Forever."

"You can't do that, Josh. You have to do something. Staying at home being lazy is not going to make you feel any better." Jake didn't even look up from rummaging around, looking for a different movie. The boys gave Josh the same speech about every other day. He loved his brother, but he was tired of him acting like a child.