The Light in the Flame

Sean

Saturday,
Afternoon.

Seven o'clock could not come any faster. It was 5 o'clock, and I had checked my phone about a thousand times today. I guess I was just keen about seeing Alexa. Waiting got so bad, I actually had full-length convos with Bandit. He slept through most of them, then pretended to listen during the latter.

I finally got up to get dressed. Half-sleeve shirt, shorts, converse, and a jacket in case it got cold. I drove to the beach in anticipation. Outside, the sky was as beautiful as it was during every Starry Night.

I walked down the beach looking left and right, searching for my friends. In the distance, behind the bonfire, I saw her smiling. Something reminded me of my favorite song, Do you remember the light in the flame...
Now I saw her through it.

I approached her and her friends, Amy, Laurel, and Kiera, who she informed us she'd invited a few days ago. "Hello girls." I said when I was near enough for them to hear me. "Hey Sean." greeted Amy.

"You must be Kiera," I said, and she nodded, "nice to meet you." I offered a smile. "Likewise." she smiled back. I finally looked at Alexa, who looked different. "Nice haircut." I complimented. She smiled at me, and I noticed a something new on her ear with her hair tucked behind it. "And a new piercing?! Wow." I laughed.

"I guess I outdid myself this time." she laughed back. "You look great." I think all eyes were on us, but I didn't mind. She was wearing a short sleeve black dress with black converse. "Thanks." she said, looking down at her punch.

"Sean!" Tom's voice came to me from behind. I looked back to see Tom and Andrew running towards us. Per usual, Ames greeted Tom with a peck on the lips and an amorous hug. Andrew and Laurel also hugged, but haven't reached the kissing phase yet.

We stood for sometime, drinking our punch, and pondering over what to do. Of course, it was Amy who insisted we should dance. She had already dragged Tom along with her. I noticed Laurel wink at Kiera, grabbing her and Andrew by their wrists, and following Ames.

"First time all over again, huh?" Alexa noticed.
"Depends, are you going to go all smarty pants on me?" I asked. "Well only if you ask for it." she laughed.

"Hmm, normally I'd say amuse me, but today feels like a night for letting loose, don't you think? Shall we dance?" I asked. "I don't dance, Sean." she pouted. "You did the night of the festival." I remembered. "I was already hyped up as it is."

"You can get hyped up now, too!" I grumbled. "Doubt it." she answered.
I raised my eyebrows at her, "Let's go." I grabbed her by the hand and, because she kept struggling to escape, I kind of dragged her towards the bunch.

Once I was near them, they took over me and surrounded her, encouraging her to dance. When she still refused to, Tom grabbed her by her hands and told her to follow his moves. At first she hesitated, but she eventually succumbed to our pressure and started dancing slightly.

Eventually, we all let loose. Everyone kept on drinking, but I stopped shortly after the first cup because I wanted to drive Alexa home. Everything was lit, and we danced for what seemed like hours.

When we all grew tired, we moved a way from the crowded places and sat on the cold sand. "Where's Kiera?" I asked. "I think I say her with Zach just a few minutes ago." said Andrew. "Ooh La La!" exclaimed Laurel, taking another sip from her cup.

"Don't you think you've had enough to drink, babe." Andrew asked her worriedly. "Don't worry about me, I'm- fine." she said in a way which obviously gave out that she was absolutely drunk.