Chapter 3

Dedicated to elpistolxro

"Okay, so from today you will be working alongside me. And by that what I mean is..."he stops his sentence midway and points to a door on my right. He gets up, opens the door and walks inside. Hesitantly I get up from my seat, clutch onto my backpack, bite my lips nervously and make my way behind him. As I enter the mysterious room, I notice it's an identical match to his office. I turn around and gape...literally not caring about Xaviers next to me. In front of me is another view of San Francisco. Oh my dayyum!

"This is your office and we may be working on different articles and stories but I'll oversee what you do and vice versa. Things tend to get real busy around here due to this company-or the magazine rather-being one of the greatest football slash soccer magazines in the world. So sometimes we will have to actually write out an article ourselves, which I believe is quiet possible for you to do. I've seen your columns and articles; they're good," he states and shoots me a smile.

"I had accepted your application upon seeing your columns and blogs. Only after, did I see your resumé. You're quite talented with words. It's going to be a privilege working with you, Sophia," he smiles and then turns around to walk back into his office and I can't help but smile.

I always thought no one paid much attention to my blogs because it wasn't really much. But after getting feedback from someone this qualified, makes me feel proud of myself.

"Oh and if you need anything you are more than welcome to ask Kylie or myself," his voice snaps me back to reality.

"Thanks. And it's actually going to be a privilege working with you."

I set my backpack down on the table and take a seat in my leather office chair. I run my hands along the smooth edge of the table and spin the chair around to look at the beautiful view of San Francisco. I am going to really enjoy working here.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, there is a knock on the other side of my office door. I spin around and yell a faint come in. The door swings open to reveal a rather happy Kylie.

"So since we got off on a good note and we seem to be alike somehow, I was thinking we could have lunch together. Also because I could use a friend who is not my boss," she says and nods her head to the side, referring to Xaviers.

I chuckle and agree to meet her at the reception area when it's time for lunch. She saunters out and Xaviers walks in, a stack of files in his left hand.

"Hey you. So since the 2018 Fifa Soccer World Cup is near and you seem to be really interested in it. I read your previous blog, you mentioned the world cup. So I want you to cover it," he says and takes a seat in the chair opposite me.

"You," I point to him with my pointer finger, "want me," I use my thumb to gesture to me, "to cover the 2018 Fifa Soccer World Cup?"

He smiles and nods.

"No. I don't think I could do that. I mean, my first assignment or task should be something of very little relevance. Because what if I mess it up? Hence I should get something small to start of with. Right?"

I could bugger the whole thing up and the magazine would lose out all because of me.

"So, Sophia, are you telling me that you're not capable for this job? Because if I can remember correctly you said you're going to do your best. But it's fine. We all make mistakes. Maybe I made a mistake when I hired you. I should just relieve you of a job that you're not capable of completing," Xaviers said with no emotion.

"No! No, I-I can do this. I'm sorry I disappointed you on my first day here. But, from now onwards you will only be receiving my best works. Even if it is covering the world cup. I'll do it." I say quickly. I see the corners of Xaviers mouth curl up into a grin.