Chapter One

Feyre's P.O.V.

I roll over onto my side as sunlight streams through the window. Rhys's arm curls tighter around my waist as I nearly topple onto the floor. Our bed is huge, but somehow I'm almost falling off the edge. He sure knows how to spread out. Must be those stupid wings. I squint into the sunlight and check the time.

"Rhys," I say sweetly. "We have to get up."

He murmurs something unintelligible and hugs me tighter to his chest. I twist so I'm facing him.

"Rhys," I repeat firmly.

"Do you suppose, Feyre darling, we could just stay in bed all day?" he mumbles sleepily.

"We could," I say. "But then we wouldn't get to open all of our wedding presents."

"I have the best wedding present already. You," he says softly, kissing the top of my head. I snuggle closer to him.

"I suppose the presents can wait a few more minutes," I say, running my fingers through his raven hair.

But since nobody can get any peace here, we are interrupted almost immediately.

"ARE YOU STITCHING YOUR CLOTHES UP THERE? WE WANT TO OPEN PRESENTS!" Cassian bellows from downstairs. "I THINK SOMEONE SENT YOU A KNIFE, AND I WANT IT."

"That asshole," Rhys sighs.

We dress quickly in casual clothes and head downstairs.

"Finally!" Mor exclaims. "We've been here forever."

"Yes, well, how could we resist Cassian's dulcet tones?" I huff. Rhys smirks.

Mor claps her hands in delight and reaches for the first box. Azriel appears out of nowhere and gives my arm a squeeze. Elain follows behind him with a tray of muffins, fresh out of the oven. Rhys takes one and gives me a kiss before retreating into the sitting area, where mountains of gifts are waiting to be unwrapped.

"Okay, first one is from the Summer Court. Tarquin wishes you well and hopes you enjoy your gift," Mor reads from a card atop a small box, then hands it to me.

I open it and find two earrings. They are simple in shape, just small pearls, but they glimmer like sunlit water when they catch the light.

"Oh, Rhys, those will look lovely on you! Tarquin sure has good taste," Cassian says with a shit-eating grin.

Rhys gives him a rude gesture and turns back to me.

Rhys's P.O.V.

Two hours have passed and we haven't even made a dent in the avalanche of presents. Sure, some of them were great. There was the knife from Devlon that somehow disappeared, and midnight-blue lingerie from Helion that I had some ideas for. Some very naughty ideas.

     Stop that, Feyre shoots down the bond. I can tell what you're thinking just from your face.

     What, me? I reply, smirking as I do so. I was only thinking of you, my love.

     I know, she smiles, turning back to the presents. The smile warms my heart. I can't help but be thankful for the millionth time that we are all sitting here today. The thanks quickly dies, however, when I remember that this is extremely boring. I never knew that weddings required this much wrapping paper.

     You could sew your wedding dress with all these ribbons, I tell her.

     Yes, but I'd be hard to unwrap on the wedding night, she replies.

     Fuck. Wedding night. Now there is something to look forward to. Not as amazing as our mating night, but still...

    Mor's excited squeak shakes me from my fantasies.

     "These are fabulous!" she giggles.

     "Hey!" my mate says, swiping for the strappy heels. "Those are my wedding presents!"

     I roll my eyes. How many shoes can one female have? Cauldron save me. I need a drink, and judging by Cassian's expression, so does he. Azriel is already in a stupor, slumped over the back of the couch.

"Well, as fun as this is, I really need a drink," I say, getting up from my leather armchair. Cassian's head shoots up at the mention of alcohol.

"Rhys, bring two bottles," he groans dramatically. "I'm practically dead."

I grin and head toward the cellar.

As I walk to the oak doors of the basement, hear Mor squeal once more. I roll my eyes. I swear, sometimes my cousin sounds like a child.

"Look at this gorgeous wrapping!" she exclaims.

I yank open the doors and step into the chilly chamber. I peruse the shelves, finally deciding on one of the only bottles of old wine Cassian hasn't drunk yet. I'm heading back out into the hallway when the laughter and chatter in the sitting room cuts off abruptly. I freeze. Terror and hate and sadness shoot down the bond. Then I hear Azriel. His voice shakes with the fury of a million shadows.

"How. Dare. He."

Hey, anybody who took the time to read this (like anybody is actually going to read it). This is my first fan fiction ever. I will probably try to update whenever I can. Let me know what you thought!! 😋