Chapter 13: Waiting for Superman

The sweet vampire scent grew to be more potent the farther we ran. It was evident that we were getting close to the leech when I heard Jacob’s melodic voice in my head, Scarlett, we need to split up. Head west and I’ll go east and we’ll try to corner the blood sucker.

     The thought of separating made me uneasy, but I trusted that he could handle himself and gave him a quick nod, be careful Jake… I can’t lose you.

     With that, I took one more glance at him before heading west as he had instructed.

     I ran as fast as I possibly could, not just to try and catch the vamp, but also in an attempt to bring my reunion with Jacob sooner. I didn’t like the feeling that was gnawing at my insides from being apart from him; I needed to see that he was okay.

     I ran a while further until I came to a small clearing that ended with a cliff that was at least a 50 foot drop down to the ocean below. I stood in the center of the clearing and awaited the arrival of my imprint. The wind was blowing against my back which made picking up his scent nearly impossible.

     In an attempt to catch his scent, I raised my head and slowly closed my eyes to focus. This proved to be an amateur mistake, for the second my focus was shifted, I felt a searing pain on the right side of my neck and my eyes shot open just in time to see the blood sucker, who was now covered in blood, send me flying into a nearby tree.

     The pain that was coursing through my veins was like something I had never felt before. It took everything in me to not cry out from the antagonizing discomfort. My vision clouded as I looked up at the vamp that was now walking in my direction. He appeared to be no older than myself; if it weren’t for the blood red eyes and his porcelain skin, I almost would have believed him to be a normal guy. But he wasn’t normal, he was a bloodsucker and if I didn’t move now he would surely finish me off.

     I attempted to get back onto my feet; however, my body failed me and I fell back onto the ground and found myself slowly shifting back to my helpless human form.

     I closed my eyes from the pain in my neck and prayed that the pack would get here soon. When I opened my eyes again I saw my Jacob throwing himself at the cold one and both of them plummeting off of the edge of the cliff. I let out an involuntary cry and found the strength to stand.

     With my adrenaline giving me strength, I made my way to the edge of the cliff prepared to jump to the waters below and go to the aid of my imprint, but as I reached the edge of the cliff, I was stopped by Kolton’s arm which wrapped itself tightly around my waist and pulled me away from the edge.

     I looked up at him in disbelief and attempted to wrestle my way out of his arms. “What are you doing? Let go of me!” I ordered. “Jacob!” I screamed out looking for my imprint, but the waters below were dark and empty.

     My struggles to get free and find Jacob only made Kolton’s grip tighten and he looked down at me sternly “Scarlett, it’s too dangerous. You are hurt and your body might not be able to handle that fall along with a battle that may be waiting for you once you hit the water. Your struggling is only going to make this worse for yourself, Scarlett. I don’t care if I wind up breaking your ribs by holding you here; I’m not letting you go so you need to calm down! Do you understand me?”

     I shook my head in defiance. “No! Kolton, I am not going to just sit here and let him die! Jacob!”

     This time Kolton didn’t speak, he just kept his grip tight around my waist while I screamed out in search for my imprint. He was right, my struggling did make the pain worse, but a few bruised, possibly broken, bones sounded like nothing in comparison to a life without my imprint, especially considering we had just begun our life together.